massive Allotments Rents rise

• 26 Replies

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: massive Allotments Rents rise
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 22:45 »
Quote from: "jetwiz"
I have just heard that my local council (Cannock) is removing the subsidies for all allotment holders from next year they will rise from £13 per year to a massive £70 per year . I wondered what i can do about it and also would like a comparison of what your paying. I think the only way i can fight this is by presenting the council with rates what others are paying. The council are wanting us to be green but is £70 per year is not worth it let me know
your views
andy warrington

I'm on a newly established (opened last August) Council site where there are 14 plots, with 3 or 4 more to be added as soon as the private contractors (home builders) get their act together.  Each plot is only 100 sq yards, but the rent for the entire site is just £135 per annum.  We've just twisted the Council's arm a bit cos it's a new site and there'll be 2 or 3 years needed for soil improvement, weeding, removal of stones, etc, so they've further agreed to half rent for the first 3 years.  So that's just £67.50 for 17 or 18 plots @ 100 yards apiece.  Site is securely fenced with lockable double (vehicle access ok) and single gates.  Brand new steel cabin with rest/chat room, tool room, small kitchen (sink unit and wall cupboard) and WC.  The cabin is fully wired to elecky with strip lights and plug sockets.  Water is plumbed in to sink and toilet and there's an electric hot-water geyser (which we've disabled via removing the fuse in the switch in case someone leaves it switched on).  We are however responsible for paying for all water and electricity used, but as the water board haven't yet got round to fitting the water meter, we're on free water as yet.  Yes, everyone has filled their water butts to the brim - while we can.  I knew we got a good deal and reading this thread am more convinced of it.

We've formed our own association and opened a bank account and all agreed to pay £30 each per annum for membership, so have built up a nice kitty so far.  The Council still haven't drafted or sent the lease for us to sign, so as yet we haven't paid a bean in rent.   :D

gobs

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 05:50 »
10x10 yard lottie. :shock:

Not many sweetcorn then. :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Filament

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 08:06 »
Ours is run by our parish council in a small village in somerset and we pay a massive £4.00 per year for a plot 70ft by 20 ft. The parish council told me they want to try and keep it at £4.00 a year for the foreseeable future. There are only 5 plots and we have no running water or any other extras with that.

£70.00 a year seems extreme, but it is still just £1.37 a week. You couldn't get a pint of beer for that these days.

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 10:20 »
Quote from: "gobs"

Who are you, Children of the Corn?  How many do you want?  I have a dozen plants ready to go in the back garden, that'll have to do.  Was going to put them out tomorrow, but a potential frost Sunday morning has been forecast here in the North West.

Arls0308

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 10:45 »
Hi,

We currently pay £29.00 for 250 msq. The site is fairly well protected with water tanks. I'm not sure if the council deliver anything, I've heard they deliver leaves sometimes. There is a portoloo, which I've not used yet, but at least you can go if you get stuck!

Arls
Arls (Allotmenteer since March 08!)

"Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest." Douglas William Jerrold

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 12:18 »
£76 for 250 sq mts

The cost is about right but to dump it on you in go isn't try and get them to stage of a few years.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 12:41 »
10 pole for £22 ... our increase was notified as 50p for next year ... think I'm doing well by all accounts.  :oops:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

franmeerkat

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 12:47 »
I've just paid rent of £35.50 for my half plot. It's owned by the Lee Valley Park authority. The site is securely fenced (new fencing just gone up) with padlocks, there's a tap 30 secs from my plot, and a full time caretaker. My rent also includes a parking permit for the little car park just inside the gates.

Glyn

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 13:03 »
I live in South Shields and just got an allotment 3 months ago and the rent here is £85 a year. There are 165 plots on site with a secure fence around the site and water tapes placed around the site. :shock:

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 15:49 »
£16 for 5 rod and a bit in the corner for nout :)
no fancy bits but its got a fence and water

humanrotivator

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 18:13 »
I pay £10 a year for a 40yd x 15yd plot with water and security gates at each entrance,no matter what you pay it is well worth it the way food prices are going up each week.

gobs

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 20:39 »
Quote from: "Tinbasher"
Quote from: "gobs"

Who are you, Children of the Corn?  How many do you want?  I have a dozen plants ready to go in the back garden, that'll have to do.  Was going to put them out tomorrow, but a potential frost Sunday morning has been forecast here in the North West.

Yes, very much. :lol:  Can't have enough. :wink:

But never mind the corn, just thought they are not giving very big plots there.

We have around 300 sq here and one is struggling to fit in all one would like to grow, that's not just me being greedy, all those with families and wanting store for the winter are out of space, especially with a decent rotation.

xx
Plot Rents

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 18:03
by Brixton Crack Squirrel
xx
Massive Pumpkin

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 13:50
by compostqueen
xx
Massive Cabbages

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 09:02
by Beetroot queen
xx
Mushrooms from a massive pile of Manure

Started by mark777 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 11:51
by argaric

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 36 queries.