massive Allotments Rents rise

• 26 Replies

jetwiz

« on: May 15, 2008, 17:06 »
I have just heard that my local council (Cannock) is removing the subsidies for all allotment holders from next year they will rise from £13 per year to a massive £70 per year . I wondered what i can do about it and also would like a comparison of what your paying. I think the only way i can fight this is by presenting the council with rates what others are paying. The council are wanting us to be green but is £70 per year is not worth it let me know
your views
andy warrington

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 17:22 »
I pay £29.59 a year for my plot which is run by a private association although Glasgow City Council sites are pretty much the same price.

Alex 98

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 17:23 »
£42 for 10 poles

Personally I'd pay double for the privelige
Water
Maure
etc supplied
Subsidised sundries

Should be discounts for the elderley etc

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 17:32 »
£7.50 for 10 poles. 'Tis a parochial charity run allotment though.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 17:39 »
Well hear in nottingham we pay 43 per year for a 400sy plot.
I know £70 is a lot of money but in comparrison for the enjoyment you have is £70 to much. But it is a hell of a hike though from £13. Are you a member of any Assosiation like nsalg or try contacting a chap called Reg Know's
http://www.theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk.org.uk/benefits.htm. This may sound stupid but this guy Gave a damn good fight to help keep our dodo secratary and treasurer the position but lost. He will fight your corner but the Assosiation who beat him was http://www.nsalg.org.uk/.

it might be a good idea if you get all the allotment holders to sign a petition. get your local MP involved as well quoting
"Allotments are valuable green spaces and community assets that provide opportunities for people to grow their own produce as part of the long term promotion of sustainability, health, community cohesion and social inclusion. It is also a good source of food for people on a limited budget.
Over the last year and as a result of increasing parliamentary interest, a number of actions to reinforce our commitment to allotments, revise and promote good practice and engage positively with allotment organisations. This has helped  gain a better understanding of the issues affecting allotments, plot holders and local authorities."
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 17:40 »
I posted the same thing twice :roll:

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 17:42 »
£37 per year. Water onsite & manure supplied. Council run site. Far cheaper than  many other enjoyable pastimes/hobbies  :D
I'd pay more too if it stops the land being built on in the future.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 17:43 »
We pay £10 a year.

Apparently it's been this much for ages. At the last meeting they were moaning about water wastage as our taps are on a meter! It would make sense for the rents to be raised to cover these types of bills!

I would be happy to pay 3, 4 or even more time our rent. It would put people who have no intention of keeping their plots off if they had to pay more.
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 18:08 »
I dont have a plot yet, just 3 small beds on a community garden, we pay £4 a month each and theres 8 of us for insurance, seeds tools, shed, etc (no water though some idiot buried the tap!!) The beds im using will in no way pay for themselves for the amount of output they will give.
Id happily pay £70 a year for what is in effect a renting of a large amount of land, though a steep rise like that is a hard one to swallow, but it IS only £7 or so a month, a bargain in my books, especially if you have amenities laid on.
Id kind of expected these hikes to happen due to the massive upsurge in interest in allotmenteering, and fully expect other councils to follow suit soon.  If they can make money out of it they will, and they certainly wont run any more at a loss in the soon to be future.
I guess Im saying its up to you to work out the finances involved and see if it is worth it for you, maybe you have to factor in petrol, or bus travel etc.? but Im also saying count your blessings, most people who are still on the waiting list would happily pay that amount and more
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

MarkG

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 18:30 »
I pay £7.50 for a half plot. The full plots are £15.

A half plot is roughly 70'x25'.

If you want to fight it then you may want to find out more about the subsidies that they council claim they are removing. And how they have come to the figure of £70. It may include services that you don't need or don't use, such as waste removal for example: ask plot holders to take home any non compostible waste etc.

Allotments are becoming popular again, and I think councils will wise up to that and start treating them as cash cows.

Good luck.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 20:10 »
£18 a year for 300sq yds but I have 2 plots, council owned land, but allotment committee run
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 20:37 »
£16 for 10 pole plot but I am an O.A.P so if under 60 you would pay £32.
They supple water a shed and a secure site, well sort of secure fenced in and large gates with padlocks so good you have a job to get in your self.
Oh and the best kept toilet you could ask for, soft loo rolls fluffy towels hand soap air/smelly s, no carpets but give them time.
There are only 40 plots but if need be there is car access and parking just out side.
Manure is about £20 a load and you don't have to be there when delivered.
Loads of lady's on site, in fact more lady's than men, hence the clean loo's.
There is a down side to the allotment, it takes two minuets to walk there, only joking.
Happy allotmenting to one and all.
Reg
I'm lost without my SatNav.

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 21:02 »
Ours costs £37 for 35 rods (thats about 75x20ft) we get mains water and a fairly secure site, about 3/4 of the site has security fencing but the council couldnt afford to finish the job :roll:
There are 76 people on the waiting list here.
Is the price going up where you are because of supply and demand do you think?
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 21:06 »
Quote from: "Caretaker"

Oh and the best kept toilet you could ask for, soft loo rolls fluffy towels hand soap air/smelly s, no carpets but give them time.

8)  Reg your've gotta be a desperate and brave bloke to use the one at our site bucket in a shed job

RuthG

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 21:11 »
I'm choosing my plot on saturday, the rent is £39/year, for an 8th of an acre, which is gigantic for me!

xx
Plot Rents

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 18:03
by Brixton Crack Squirrel
xx
Massive Pumpkin

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 13:50
by compostqueen
xx
Massive Cabbages

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 09:02
by Beetroot queen
xx
Mushrooms from a massive pile of Manure

Started by mark777 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 11:51
by argaric

Page created in 1.155 seconds with 37 queries.