Cucumbers and courgettes and other veg

• 3 Replies

Oliveview

« on: May 15, 2008, 15:51 »
I planted my cues and courgettes plants and then the bad rains hit and the end of the veg patch was really wet and the plants looked very sad :( and were all but washed away.  Now about a month on the plants are looking great :D  One of the courgettes (round fruits) is full of fruits and the ´normal´ courgette is too.  A cucumber plant has a fruit as big as my thumb :D  :D  
I have planted up another bit of the garden as a flower bed- discovered yesterday a cucumber (or courgette) plant growing among the flowers-  I think I threw down the compost that I thought the seedlings had failed in!  
I´ve sown some ´Italian´ cucumber seeds (last lot did not come up only weeds in the seed tray) I´ve now got 3 small plants in the garden, so fingers crossed.  
The pepper plants are not looking good, they are very smalll still, but fingers crossed they will improve.
Runner beans not great, but even if I get one meal off the plants I will be happy.  The dwarf beans (black) are sad but the berlotti (?) beans are looking great, and  I have a pea pod on my pea plants :D  :D  
The mange tout peas are surviving the slugs.  The asparagus peas have just one flower! The toms are looking good, I have about 50 plants in the garden- I´m hoping for a good crop so I can bottle them in the summer for use in the winter.
The fruit trees (plum and pear) are not great- we have a bad bug problem and I need to spray the trees.  I am a bit worried about the hens though as they are free ranging among the garden with the fruit trees.  Apart from that, garden life is grand :D
Hope the sunshine and warm weather has bought on your fruit and veg
Pamela

woodburner

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 16:02 »
I thought you were taking big risks 'til I saw where you are ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 19:19 »
We had a very dry January/Feb/March then we more than made up for it the end April into May!  The garden was waterlogged for a few days.  We have had warm weather lately but nowhere near as hot as it has been back in the UK.  One the hot summer arrives the veg plants will slow down.  Although saying that, our peppers last year were brilliant- I kept the neighbours supplied when their crop failed.  Last year we had the tom plants under the trees and they were not that good, so it will be interesting to see how much better they are this year in the open ground.
I´m putting mothballs down the mole tunnels as they appear so hopefully soon Mr Mole will give up hunting in my garden and move on to the neighbours olive grove :D  He does seem to have slowed down on the hills that are appearing thank goodness.
Pamela

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 20:01 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
I thought you were taking big risks 'til I saw where you are ;)

Me too Woodburner  :oops: I thought I must be doing something wrong my courgettes are about a foot long and only just in the ground :shock:
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

xx
cucumbers and courgettes

Started by ian.ford on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:39
by IanYORK
xx
Cucumbers, courgettes another one!

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 16:59
by shaun
xx
Harvesting courgettes and cucumbers

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 22:06
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Green courgettes and cucumbers gone yellow

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 10:43
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 36 queries.