question about composting

• 4 Replies

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
« on: May 14, 2008, 23:32 »
I have just dug a section of my garden full of weeds, brambles, ivy and lots of these tall plants with purple daisy like flowers (probably not weeds but everywhere in my garden).  I have a big pile of top growth and soil and lots of roots.  My question is can I put it at the back of my garden and cover it with a black bag and use it as compost in a year or so?  What about all the roots?  Do I need to wet it down before I cover it?
Thanks for all your help on here.  I don't have an allotment just a big garden and only be growing veg and fruit for a year but I really have the bug and this site is great, thanks to all of you.
Juliet :D
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

iwantanallotment

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 01:31 »
I wouldn't compost anything with weeds in, personally.
Maybe I'm just over cautious, but it was such hard work getting rid of them to start with, and is ongoing hard work to keep them at bay, that I just won't chance it in case something does re-root or has dormant seeds.
But that's just me - maybe someone more knowledgeable will advise you differently  :wink:
You could burn them though, and compost the ashes?

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:06 »
If you have a garden then it follows that you should have a compost bin, or bins. Everything can be composted so nothing leaves the garden.  if my husband puts the grass mowings in the council bin I go nuts  :oops:
I put weeds in my daleks. If I find couch rhizomes I burn those and the dandelion roots.  It's good to weed on a dry sunny day then  you can let them fry in the sun and add them to the compost bins as browns

Those tall plants you talk about could be foxgloves and you could Freecycle those as people love them. We'll be selling them at a plant fayre this weekend.  They can be composted though, no reason why not

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:14 »
Thanks for replies, Compost queen - I wish they were fox gloves I would not be digging them up if they were. They just have single daisy flower in July August (purple) and seem to self seed plus have roots that shoot as well.  Do you think it is ok to to put the roots in too, or should I burn these and just put the green stuff in?

Hawthorne

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 13:17 »
Could the purple flowers be Michaelmas Daisies? We have loads of them too!

xx
A Question regards composting!

Started by Missie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 00:40
by Missie
xx
Daft question about composting...

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 19:38
by Goneterseed
xx
compost / composting question

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 13:46
by new_2_veg
xx
Composting

Started by Footy Man on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2017, 11:22
by JayG

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 36 queries.