Hello, I'm very new to all of this!

• 18 Replies

RuthG

« on: May 14, 2008, 20:31 »
Hi all! As it says in my title, I'm really new to this. I'm going to choose my plot on saturday, and apparently they are huge, about an 8th of an acre!

Anyway, I'm hoping to start work on it straight away, so depending on how much clearing I need to do, what is best to plant out at the moment? I'll probably clear part of the plot, then plant, then clear some more, and so on!

Is it strange to be excited by it?  :lol:

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 20:35 »
start with salad stuf it cums up quick so you dont lose hart then stick to stuf you like
have fun  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 20:36 »
Hi Ruth welcome to the forums  :D

I'd start with a few spuds if you can get them you can sow salads about now beetroot etc plenty to go at really, just take your time and enjoy.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

RuthG

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 20:37 »
Thanks nobby!

I can't wait to get started  :lol:

RuthG

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 20:40 »
Thanks rich!

I'm a complete and utter novice at this, so I'm going to ask a really dim question, please don't laugh at me!

To grow spuds, do you just plant a potatoe? :oops:

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 22:56 »
you can but folks generally prefer to buy proper seed potatoes which are guaranteed to be free of viruses. You get them from Tesco or Wilko as well as the local garden centre or mail order.  I notice Tesco and Wilko sell small bags of several varieties.  

The mail order suppliers might have sold out by now though, eg Fothergills, Marshalls, Tuckers, Alan Romans, Dobies, Suttons.  If you have a local Dobbies garden centre they might still have them

noshed

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 23:10 »
Hi Ruth
Nothing weird about being excited about your allotment. Still keeps me happy during long meetings - nothing better than thinking about your french beans/compost/greenhouse etc
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 23:38 »
Wow! That is BIG! Nearly as big as the whole site where my two lotties are . . . :lol:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

RuthG

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:49 »
I'm a bit worried that it's going to be too big!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm really excited now!

Another question.... Do people have glasshouses and sheds on their allotments, would I be able to buy/build my own? With such a massive plot, it seems a shame not to be able to utilise it!

MarkG

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 09:51 »
Hi Ruth,

I'm new this year too. You could also try some runner beans. I planted the seeds in pots and will transfer them to the allotment at the end of May. They've all sprouted, so seem really easy to grow, and they grow really quick too. I put some in pots a couple of weeks ago, not realising they grow so fast, and they're already crawling across my patio, desperate to get them in the ground.

Runners need canes to grow up. There are some wonderful feats of civil engineering and architecture at our site. I'm starting construction work tomorrow.

franmeerkat

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 13:07 »
Hi Ruth - I'm new this year too!
Your plot sounds huuuuuge! On sheds and greenhouses - rules about this should be in your allotment agreement. On my site, we're allowed sheds and greenhouses but they are very strict about the size.
I've only had my plot for under a month, but I've started lots of stuff in pots at home (beetroot, beans, peas, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes etc). Last week I found seed potatoes in a local garden centre, and they had a lot of winter veg plants too, so you should be able to plant quite a lot.

RuthG

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 13:33 »
Thanks both!

Would it be ok to sow a few seeds and leave them in my kitchen window? It's like a greenhouse! I don't have a garden at present, as I live in a maisonette, but I'm moving house soo, so I will have a garden, but I'd love to sow a few bits and pieces now!

franmeerkat

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 13:44 »
Should be fine, Ruth. I've used peat pots and bog roll tubes, and some seed compost. Just make sure they get lots of light, and turn them every day so they don't grow in just one direction. My peas and beans have come roaring up, and the beet is good too.

diggerjoe

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 14:39 »
a big coventry welcome ruth from another coventry kid  - wow what a plot size - I downsized mine from full to half and found the 120ft x 30ft  big enough - my advice is do what you can its taken me best part of a year to clear mine with just a bity to go but well worth it  - I recommend follow every digging session with hot bath and loads of radox :lol: I'm over in the east of Coventry so if I get any extra plants you are most welcome.  :)

RuthG

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 14:47 »
ooh, diggerjoe, thats lovely, thank you! My plot is in the London road allotments, but the entrance is actually on the Humber road.

It is a huge plot, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge!

Where is your allotment?

Page created in 0.475 seconds with 36 queries.