Advice on pumpkins please.

• 3 Replies

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« on: May 13, 2008, 14:30 »
I Planted jack o lantern pumpkin seeds a while ago as per instructions. I sowed them in my propogator then transplanted. Have had them in big pots im my bay window for a while but have just planted 2 of them in their own seperate patches as the stems on them had grown to over 1mtr already. Will they be ok or do i need to do other stuff to them? I read somewhere about just leaving 2 buds on each plant, is that right or should i just leave them with all their flower buds? Also just read another topic and it said lots off poo. Would chicken manure pellets be ok to spread on them or do i need something else? Help...

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 15:06 »
they do like manure as they're greedy feeders. Feed them when you see fruits forming. Pellets will do  :D    If you want big fruits you could remove some and let just a couple develop.  Some folks take some of the leaves off too later in the year to let the sun get to them.  They can also be "stopped" by nipping out the growing tips so you concentrate the plants energies into the fruits rather than the foliage

Some do nothing and leave them to romp freely  :D

gobs

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 16:20 »
The more plants and flowers, the better the pollination, some late maturing varieties are best stopped at some point to have the fruit properly ripened, I don't grow your varieties, so can't say, how many, but your seed packet or catalogue should refer to ripening times.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 22:02 »
hiya, thankyou both for your advice.

xx
Any advice for growing pumpkins?

Started by Cardiff Pete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 12:33
by Nige2Plots
xx
Shrinking Pumpkins! Advice needed pls

Started by NiceGuyNik on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 20:40
by BillinPA
xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 28 queries.