Raspberry canes

• 13 Replies

Wildeone

Raspberry canes
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:38 »
I've spent the morning planting my raspberry canes and at first sight they looked completely dead but on closer inspection i can see little green shoots!  :D

Now my question is will i get any raspberries this year?

I'm led to believe that they're summer fruiting 'Brice' if that helps your answers at all.

Wildoene x
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:51 »
In theory, no.

If it's a summer fruiting variety, this year's new canes will bear next year's fruit. You occasionally get the odd cane that doesn't fully have a grasp on the rules!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Wildeone

Raspberry canes
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:54 »
I'm sure i read that i had to cut the whole thing down to ground level each winter!  :?  I'm going to go investigate!

DD.

• Global Moderator
Raspberry canes
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56 »
Quote from: "Wildeone"
I'm sure i read that i had to cut the whole thing down to ground level each winter!  :?  I'm going to go investigate!

You do that with autumn fruiting, nor summer fruiting.

Wildeone

Raspberry canes
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59 »
:?  Now i know it doesn't take much to confuse my BUT suttons say it fruits in August and September and its a primocane  :?  Now doesn't primocane mean fruits on canes in first year but August is summer  :?   :?   :?   :?    :roll:   :roll:   :oops:

I suppose what i mean is will the plant produce canes this year?  I think that what i mean  anyway!  :roll:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Raspberry canes
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 13:06 »
You have an Autumn fruiting raspberry there. It should start fruiting Augustish onwards until the first frosts.

Summer ones start in June/July.  (All weather dependent).

Yes, these should be decapitated once finished.

And yes, you should get fruit this year, but maybe not a lot first time.

Wildeone

Raspberry canes
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 13:12 »
What a star!!! Thanks x

DD.

• Global Moderator
Raspberry canes
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 13:14 »
Now the annoying bit - if you'd asked me, you could have had any amount of Autumn Bliss canes for nowt!

Wildeone

Raspberry canes
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 13:18 »
:?    :roll:

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Raspberry canes
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 18:31 »
Can I resurrect this question please  :lol:

I bought 3 Brice Raspberry cuttings last year (May 2007) via The Sun offer for Dobies Rasberry and Strawberries.

I am now very confused about how to treat these canes.

From memory the 3 original canes produced fruit last year during the late Summer and Autumn and sent up new canes. We cut down the old canes as they died off and looked dead.

This year so far those new canes have produced a few handfuls of berries already - starting in June but have now died off as well. The 2nd lot of new canes have grown and are now starting to produce fruit albeit only a few here and there.

As I understood it they were meant to be Autumn fruiting from September  :?

Now what do we do? The canes are not really in a good position and if possible I would like to move them - is this possible? As well as the new canes they also produce little plantlets - are these ok to grow on?

What should I spray them with (if anything) the leaves are in a bad way and have been eated and infested with either caterpillers or aphids or both.

I'm beginning to get really fed up with raspberries  :cry:

The 'special offer' cost us £14.95 for both sets (3 raspberries and 5+5 strawberries) so I would hope to get a lot more fruit than so far otherwise I've been conned.

The strawberries are Malling Opals and ok-ish, not much fruit but thats probably our fault for putting them in troughs for lack of space.

Can anyone help before I give up on them altogether.
Many thanks
M.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

rainie

Raspberry canes
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 08:47 »
I'm not an expert but with my raspberries, but wil tell you how I look after mine. They are a summer fruiting but cant rember their name. After they have finished fruiting,  I cut the 'old canes' down to about 2", then the following year the fruit grows on the new canes. I feed them year old horse muck in the autumn, they are in a row with blackcurrants and have strawberries by the side of them. Thankfully I havent had the blackfly on them but blackfly have attacked my fruit trees badly this year.
Dont give up on them, keep talking to them, I'm sure they will come right.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
Raspberry canes
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:56 »
I read that Autumn fruiting types fruit early on  last years shots if they are not cut down. In other words if you don't cut them down to ground level you will get fruit in summer.. 1/2 the canes cut down and 1/2 left (trimmed at the top only) will give you fruit in summer and autumn (Will thats my plan anyway!).
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Raspberry canes
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 13:13 »
Right, so at the moment what I have are some tatty looking canes which have fruited a little bit this year and are looking finished and alongside them some taller green new canes which are now fuiting.

Do I cut down the tatty looking ones 1/2 (half way) down or to the bottom?

My hubby is fairly sure he cut last years old canes down to the bottom so the stuff we have this year is last years new growth (now looking tatty) and this years new growth.

Am I making hard work for myself  :oops:

I will try and take a photo to attach. The leaves all have long straight holes like slashes in them.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Raspberry canes
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 13:41 »
Oops, they are a bit big - any why did the IMG tag details show below the first picture?

Any Mods on today please could you help me out here - not sure that should be displayed - thanks.

xx
raspberry canes given to me - help

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 12:22
by woodburner
xx
New Raspberry Canes

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:28
by gobs
xx
Raspberry canes available when?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2010, 21:46
by gowing238
xx
raspberry canes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 20:57
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.