Abnormal breast

• 17 Replies

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Abnormal breast
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:22 »
I have some JA575's which i have had since 1 day old. I have noticed that one of them is smaller than the others. It seems to be doing all the things the others are doing but not as big. I also notice that the breast on one side is protruded out - it is soft and does not appear to cause any pain. I wonder if this could be a tumour? Do birds that are bred for meat production suffer with tumours as a result of rapid growth and genetic monkeying around?? I am not particularly worried about it as the bird is not but i was wondering if anyone has any experience of this??
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

woodburner

Abnormal breast
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:49 »
Don't worry, it's most likely a full crop ;)

On second thoughts, you've probably had chickens long enough to know what that looks like. Is it near the base of the neck or is it right down on the breast?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

poultrygeist

Abnormal breast
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:33 »
I am treating one of our birds for this.

It sounds like an impacted crop (long grass or something hard which won't pass through), which can turn into sour crop (the contents ferment and can become toxic). This needs treating as quickly as possible before it becomes a serious problem.

Has she had any long grass or a lot of hard seeds without access to grit ?

If you can hold her upside down and massage the crop carefully but firmly towards the head and the contents should may spill out. Apparently it's not pretty but it will empty out some of the liquid, although whatever's blocking her crop probably won't budge. I'm goin to try flushing out with some warm water and bicarb using a syringe and rubber tubing pushed down her throat then upend her and massage. The bicarb neutralises any acid buildup.
It's a tricky procedure but I've read up and hope I can do it without distressing her too much.

You may find that after a massage and a clear out, she'll return to normal. Hope so.

Rob

poultrygeist

Abnormal breast
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:44 »
I sounded a bit alarmist there, sorry. If you do a google search for impacted crop, sour crop or slow crop, you should find some descriptions which may match what you're seeing.

If her breath smells bad, then it's a bit more urgent. It may require a vet to cut open her crop and remove anything blocking it, or she may get rid of it by herself.

If the crop is not empty, ie. flat to her chest, first thing in the morning, then she has something stuck in there.

Rob

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Abnormal breast
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 15:15 »
i dont imagine why she would have an impacted crop as she has only really had chick crumbs until this point. It is also not central to the body and over to the right way down on the breast. Dont think it is impacted crop - she wouldent be keen to feed if it were would she??

poultrygeist

Abnormal breast
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 16:07 »
I was probably a bit hasty on teh diagnosis, but the crop is down on the right (trying to think if it's right or left now!).

Ours has got what I think would be classed as a slow crop. She has some hard matter still there first thing in the morning which makes it difficult for other food to pass but she has the same appetite and is laying with no signs of stress.

I've tried to treat her but she isn't bringing anythign back despite my best efforts. I hope she will right herself with some care and attention.

I am going to update my other thread as I go along with any developments.

Rob

Bodger

Abnormal breast
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 16:19 »
If the bird is eating and laying OK Rob, I'd be tempted to leave things as they are. Whatever it is, seems to be just cosmetic.

poultrygeist

Abnormal breast
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 16:24 »
One thing that bothered me was weight loss. How do you tell if she's underweight ?

They all feel pretty bony to me though they're eating plenty and have the usual treats in moderation.

Rob

Bodger

Abnormal breast
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 16:49 »
If you have similar chickens to this one, simply pick them up as long as there's no marked difference in the weight and how they feel, then you're in the clear.

poultrygeist

Abnormal breast
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 16:53 »
fair do's. Business as usual then.

I'm picking up some fresh oyster grit tomorrow. That may help to shift things along. Her strange honk has become quite endearing.  :)

R

pushrod

Re: Abnormal breast
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 19:22 »
Quote from: "bedifferent"
I have some JA575's which i have had since 1 day old. I have noticed that one of them is smaller than the others. It seems to be doing all the things the others are doing but not as big. I also notice that the breast on one side is protruded out - it is soft and does not appear to cause any pain. I wonder if this could be a tumour? Do birds that are bred for meat production suffer with tumours as a result of rapid growth and genetic monkeying around?? I am not particularly worried about it as the bird is not but i was wondering if anyone has any experience of this??

I maybe wrong but are they JA757's ? How old are they at the moment?
It is not unusual for them to look grossly distorted when they are young as they are so incredibly greedy and the crop is to one side.  Are they being kept in permanent light - if so they will just be feeding continuously and so the crop will never really go down. It is also not unusual to lose one or two when they are young. How many have you got?
The one thing i noticed about mine is that the birds spend a heck of a lot of time sitting down as they get older and they are not the most agile of birds - probably due to the weight they put on. One or two of them also seem to have a few toe problems but nothing major.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Abnormal breast
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 21:48 »
Quote from: "bedifferent"
i dont imagine why she would have an impacted crop as she has only really had chick crumbs until this point. It is also not central to the body and over to the right way down on the breast. Dont think it is impacted crop - she wouldent be keen to feed if it were would she??

I had an ex batt who had sour crop or impacted crop, and yes, it was HUGE and laid down the right side more than the left, but it was definitely the crop and not her breast.  But when we had to re-home the ex batts to make way for the day olds, Brian out her down as no one wold have wanted her looking like that.

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Abnormal breast
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 02:15 »
Hi, they are jA575 and i have 5 of them. They are under a dull emmitter light so they have a good day and night routine. Do i need to do anything about this little bird - dont want to loose any as i only have 5.

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Abnormal breast
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 02:16 »
oops JA757 - sorry.

pushrod

Abnormal breast
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 13:13 »
If immediately after a long dark period the crop is still full then something is wrong especially if it really starts to get left behind the others in terms of growth. How long are you expecting them to take to get to table weight?

question
HELP!! Abnormal Poop

Started by uktitan on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 23:46
by viettaclark
xx
Abnormal beaks on chickens?

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 14:37
by Casey76
xx
Bold breast!

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 08:28
by Sassy
question
Breast Blisters ??

Started by AL Hathaway on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 14:01
by AL Hathaway

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 36 queries.