Carrots, Parsnips and Onions

• 5 Replies

OB

« on: May 11, 2008, 10:59 »
Hi All,

Lovely day so you are probably all outside and I don't blame you.

I planted some Carrots (Autumn King) and Parsnips (I forget..) on 15th April, since then we've had a couple of weeks of average weather, a wet week and now for the last 7 days or so it's been nice and sunny. But nothing seems to be appearing in the rows where I planted, I've got some weed seedlings and grass that seems to be doing okay!! but no sign of the carrots or Parnsips (bar maybe one or two).

I know patience is needed but how much longer should I give them? The packets say 10-21 days for carrots and 10-28 days for parsnips.

Being new to this I'm worried I could have set them to deep and they aren't going to show, I did try for 1/2 inch.

Also my Onions are going well buit the stems and leaves appear to be bending over, do I need to earth up to keep the leaves upright?

Thanks in advance

OB

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 14:31 »
My parsnips have not really shown.  I think I may have one or two, but they may be weeds.  The problem is I think that I don't know what parsnips look like.  If they look a little like celeriac then I have a few - if not then I don't .  I think I planted them about three or four weeks age - I didn't keep a diary.  Ib hope that they will grow in time.  I might do another row this week.

My onions are the same. I don't know if they are onions or grass!
I get my kicks on Plot 66!

vegmandan

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 15:52 »
Carrots and parsnips can take ages to germinate.

If your soil is dry then I'd give it a watering along the rows and see if that helps. :D

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 17:13 »
Definitely water often and be patient. I'd opt for the 28 days time before parsnips show. They resemble flat parsley or celery leaves. And carrots can be close to 3 weeks before showing (with regular watering). That's how long mine take to show.

cozzcov

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 18:34 »
I did parsnips last year and they took ages to germinate but was well woth the wait - they were meant to be a dwarf variety but with all the wet weather I pulled one the weighed 3lbs!!!.  
My carrots this year were in for a couple of weeks before they germinated and it was literally not there one day there the next.   I've just sown the third row so hopefully I'll get a long harvesting period too.  They are one of my favourite veg.

OB

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 19:41 »
Okay so i'll keep watering and wait a few more weeks...........

xx
Carrots & Parsnips

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 21:42
by Lulu
xx
Parsnips and Carrots

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 18:46
by greentig3r
xx
Carrots and parsnips

Started by Lisa62 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 13:35
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
parsnips/carrots

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 12:43
by celtbhoy

Page created in 1.67 seconds with 36 queries.