This is really starting to annoy me!

• 19 Replies

Foxy

« on: May 11, 2008, 09:57 »
Is it just me? I am noticing a lot of people when they buy chickens they soon find that the birds are ill -or looks like have just recovered from an illness and others in their flock become ill. I am so annoyed that people are selling birds that they know are poorly!!! :x  :x
I wouldn't dream of selling a sick bird to anyone so why are people doing it????
Thats it rant over feel better now! :lol:

Vember

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:43 »
I've noticed that too Foxy, at first I put it down to stress of the new birds being moved??

but have also wondered if people are getting birds as it's "trendy" and then finding out they don't like them so get rid and it's the true bird lovers that find the illness as we know a sick hen from a good one???

Maybe I'm wrong but it does make me wonder ???

dawnsmith

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 14:20 »
Could it be because people with sick birds are more likely to post looking for help. Those that get healthy chickens are too busy watiching them in the garden  :D
Dawn
x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 15:19 »
Not everyone is as scrupulous as we are on this forum  :evil:

Chicken keeping is "trendy" now and an unscrupulous breeder or owners will try to off load sick or failing birds especially at auctions to unsuspecting people.  

This is why I would always advise anyone new to chicken keeping to buy their birds from a well established breeder who has a reputation to maintain.  You may pay a few pounds per bird more, but we are only talking about a few birds no dozens.  The birds will be inoculated and have a better chance of being healthy and it's far more likely that the introduction to hen keeping will be much more positive !

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 15:57 »
Quote from: "dawnsmith"
Could it be because people with sick birds are more likely to post looking for help. Those that get healthy chickens are too busy watiching them in the garden  :D

I would have said that -if it hadn't been for the fact that most of the birds I bought  last year needed treatment -either had lice or  needed antibiotics!! Which I didn't mind doing -only one bird must've have been very poorly at one time and had never quite recovered so I cant breed her, quite frustrating -shes had so many stays of executions but I think her days are probably numbered. It seems that instead of culling birds -people sell them to make profit knowing they have the potential to infect an entire garden flock.
 Luckily have built up my flock so wont need to buy any for a while.....famous last words :wink:  :lol:
It is true though with ex-bats for example you expect to have a few problems they need so much TLC that it is a real labour of love but not from people selling birds!!!
Sorry second rant over!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 17:14 »
You keep on ranting Foxy.  It is disgraceful.  

But there are, and will always be, those who will just wish to make ££££ out of other people, especially newbies to anything  :evil:

Don't buy any chooks unless you can inspect them thoroughly  :!:

Wildeone

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 17:45 »
I must admit that i've been reading the posts and it seems that people are having even more problems than i've had with my ex batts - yes mine have been poorly but i expected it because of the history i would have been shocked if i'd brought them 'new' and had all the same problems.
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 17:51 »
Exactly  :!:

Ex-batts are expected to come with problems and some will not make it to health and a good retirement.

Wildeone

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 17:59 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Exactly  :!:

Ex-batts are expected to come with problems and some will not make it to health and a good retirement.
But thanks to the advice on here they're fighting fit! perfect poo's following their coxoid treatment! - i was a tad worried it was wasn't the right thing at first but in the 2 days it tooks for the bottle of medicine to arrive the two 'healthier' ones had really foamy poos and little chicken licken poo'd blood twice  :shock:  within 48 hours of treatment all three really perked up and 10days on they're the best i've seen them! ! ! ! ! :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 18:15 »
i have been to loads of different places, and as yet, not seen a single one that i would class as clean.

i would happily pay extra to know that the breeder was a chicken hugger rather than a money grabber.

not expecting to find one anyday soon  :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 18:36 »
Quote from: "Wildeone"
But thanks to the advice on here they're fighting fit! perfect poo's following their coxoid treatment! - i was a tad worried it was wasn't the right thing at first but in the 2 days it tooks for the bottle of medicine to arrive the two 'healthier' ones had really foamy poos and little chicken licken poo'd blood twice  :shock:  within 48 hours of treatment all three really perked up and 10days on they're the best i've seen them! ! ! ! ! :D

Well done Wildey.  Brilliant job  :!:  :!:  :!:

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 21:35 »
Time for those updated ex bats piccies!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Wildeone

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 21:55 »
Almost! OH brought a new camera the other day but forgot a memory stick so i just need to buy one before i can use it 8)

peggyprice

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 23:17 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

Chicken keeping is "trendy" now and an unscrupulous breeder or owners will try to off load sick or failing birds especially at auctions to unsuspecting people.  

I think you've hit the nail on the head Aunty - as soon as there's a demand there will be people willing to move in on it without the history/background to know/care what they are doing (remind me sometime to tell you the story of the Farmer's Market and the 'freerange' chickens ...!!).

But it also worries me that because it is now 'trendy', lots of people are buying a couple of chickens without really realising that they are living creatures that need a lot of care and attention (I speak, as you know, as a very new chicken keeper myself, so not throwing any stones  :?  But I have had rescue & pedigree dogs for years, a rescue cat, and lots of 'transient' small animals along the way - so I'm used to the fact that keeping animals is a pain most of the time, no matter how much we love them).

I have huge respect for the guys at Omlet and if they hadn't invented the Eglu I probably would never have realised that I could keep chickens in my back garden (even though I didn't actually buy one in the end - sorry Aunty!) - but I also think that they have played a big part in making poultry keeping aspirational.  

I know there are people who would never have thought of keeping birds before but who would now see chickens as a pretty accessory for their garden and who don't necessarily want/know how to deal with the various hygiene, health and welfare issues that any domestic animal brings.  

And because even the reputable breeders understandably don't think of the birds in the way that, say, a dog breeder would think of their animals, no-one checks whether a new keeper has the right sort of housing, or even the most basic understanding, necessary to keep birds healthy.

This forum has been a fantastic source of information & support for me; unfortunately not everyone buying chickens now will access this sort of information when they need it.

Sorry Foxy!  Didn't mean to outrant you!!!
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 23:37 »
i have to agree with you all here...

when i bought my 1st chooks several yeras ago i did get asked where i would be keeping them....prolly only as they wanted to sell me a very expensive chook house! but since then i have bought lots more chooks my brahma trio from a kids farm and  some from breeders, not once have i been asked how/where  they will live! if i know what im doing(still unsure but learning everyday lol)

it is seen as trendy now partly(in my humble opinion) due to programs about intensive farming care of jamie oliver n co folks are thinking more about where their food comes from but not thinking it through when they decide well our own chooks would be nice fresh eggs for free everyday.
sorry getting off my soap box now

xx
just starting

Started by kev1986 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 07, 2010, 13:03
by evie2
xx
Just starting out

Started by kelbenjae on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:52
by babe
xx
Starting over ... Thanks Mr Fox :-(

Started by gingerplant on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 09:28
by gingerplant
question
Starting Out

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 11:13
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 36 queries.