earthing up potatoes when soil is hard

• 25 Replies

MarkG

« on: May 08, 2008, 21:26 »
Hi all,

My potatoes are starting to poke through their little mounds and some of them are getting quite big ~ 6 inches. But with the warm dry spell we've had, the soil on my allotment has formed a hard crust which makes it difficult to earth up.

I've tried loosening with a fork, but putting it into any useful depth starts lifting slabs of soil and disturbing the adjacent potatoes. So I tried turning the hosepipe on the rows hoping a good soaking would soften things, but that didn't work.

So, will the potatoes wait a week or so  (for the next good downpour to soften the soil) before earthing up? Assuming we don't get a frost that kills them. How do others manage with hard soil?

I also wanted to get some peas and another row of carrots in, and some more spinach, and the rocket...... ah well. When's the rain coming?

I'll sing a song and do a little dance. Wish me luck.

Mark.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 21:31 »
NOO!!!! Dont wish the rain back!!!!!
Thats what I did last year in April, and look what happened then  :oops:

I can admit it now...it was me guys  :cry:  :oops:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

plot36

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 21:34 »
Hi

I do hope you get a reply soon as i have the same q.

I have been covering mine with compost but only on the bit poking out so i dont use too much but i am sure there is a better way. Also when do we stop covering up?

backpain

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 21:54 »
Stop panicing, they'll be fine.....I'm sure.  My tatty's are about 6" too and I was wondering whether I should dig them up.  When will 1st earlies be ready. I planted mine back in March.  I could always did one up and find out.

Anyway, sounds like your soils got clay in it.  Get your how in there and tease it a bit.

Can one of you experts help us out please? :roll:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 21:56 »
Quote from: "backpain"
Stop panicing, they'll be fine.....I'm sure.  My tatty's are about 6" too and I was wondering whether I should dig them up.  When will 1st earlies be ready. I planted mine back in March.  I could always did one up and find out.

Anyway, sounds like your soils got clay in it.  Get your how in there and tease it a bit.

Can one of you experts help us out please? :roll:

Got to get a lot bigger than that, wait until the flowers come out, then have a scratch around to see what lies beneath!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

vegmandan

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 21:58 »
I'd get a 3 pronged hand cultivator and just try to break up the top inch or two of soil between the rows and then just earth up a bit at a time with the broken up soil.

Steady away. :D

backpain

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 22:30 »
Hi DD,

So just for my numpty benefit, what does earthing up actually do. I can kind of guess, but your expert view would be appreciated.

How long will the flowers take to arrive?

Cheers :?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:56 »
Earthing up covers the potato tubers which like to grow and clump at and above soil level. As part of the deadly nightshade family, if the tubers are exposed to the sun, they turn green and poisonous. So, earthing up soil around the plant prevents them going green and inedible.
An easy way to earth up is to invest in an azada. It's sort of like a mattock, or flat bladed pickax. The end is sharp and easily chews through hard soil and the blade is wide enough that at the same time you can pull soil towards the plant for mounding. I find it way easier than a hoe, a rake or fork for clayish soils.

MarkG

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 08:02 »
Thanks all. Right, an azada it is then. Do you think Screwfix sell them? I'll take a look.

I have one of those 3-pronged cultivators, my mum gave me it when I got the allotment, it must be 30-years old. Will give it a try.

Don't worry about the rain dance. I'm no X-factor contestant, and OH (in her best french accent  :wink:  ) gave it nil point.

MarkG

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:22 »
Argh, 7 different types of Azada  :shock:

Found them at this website in the UK.

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm

I'm gonna try the Medium Asada, which it says is good general purpose tool. I'll report back when I've had a go.

drizabone

earthing up potatoes when the soil is hard
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 09:17 »
I have the medium light azada and it is perfect for general lottie work and the right angled fork is useful.

diggerjoe

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 12:10 »
got mine from get digging went for the middle weight one and its the best buy I've made and it made short work of the bean trench :)

noshed

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 14:04 »
Yep I've got a medium one too - great tool.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

gobs

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 17:41 »
I'm up for them too, also trench hoe, re-named. Very good multi-purpose tools. If you have heavy clay, you might want to invest in a smaller one, too, for those closer plantings, as you will find a dutch hoe no use, you will learn with practice how to shallow or deep hoe with them.  :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 18:14 »
Quote from: "backpain"
Hi DD,

So just for my numpty benefit, what does earthing up actually do. I can kind of guess, but your expert view would be appreciated.

How long will the flowers take to arrive?

Cheers :?

Thanks to Trill for answering, (backpain - I'm stuck in Cardiff at the moment, back to sunny L'boro tomorrow).

I anticipate flowers in June on mine, then I'll start scratching about!

xx
Hard soil

Started by annieanne49 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 17:12
by Headgardener22
xx
Dealing with hard lumps of soil

Started by wendyg on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 13:44
by Dullnote
xx
Heavy clay soil that is rock hard!

Started by kennethc on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 11:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Earthing up potatoes

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 15, 2006, 15:51
by Ian_P

Page created in 0.949 seconds with 37 queries.