the prospect of neglect...

• 11 Replies

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
« on: May 08, 2008, 18:15 »
Hi all

Baby Kolya born last week, definitely the healthiest and most successful thing I've grown so far!! Utterly delighted and besotted of course.

Went down to the allotment today, and everything's coming up: onions, sweetcorn, potatoes, and the lettuce and spinach holding up in the heat. Thing is, I know I'm going to be able to do minimal caring for the plot over the next month or two... d'you think the potatoes and onions will survive a somewhat neglectful time?

just wondering...
L

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 18:21 »
I would have thought so, spuds do like water but if you plant loads of them they have to fend for themselves don't they.  Onions like weeding between, though I don't suppose it would harm them to have a few weeds growing amongst them - probably keep the nasties off  :D . They might just be a bit smaller but they you're probably not growing em for the showbench.

Just visit your plot when you get chance and take baby with you.  My friend brings her grandkids in the pram to my plot  :D

Good luck  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 18:23 »
OK, so I'm guessing now :shock:

Kolya is either a Russian or Czech Boy's name - I think.  So:

CONGRATULATIONS

No,,,,,   It's Australian Aboriginal, means Winter  :D

gobs

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 19:18 »
Wishing you well, Lisa.

And I know you will be tired, but have the baby kip there, surprisingly lot you can get done, ignore weeds, just water, feed and pick what needs to, a lot of summer crops will thrive on your neglect, but you have to somehow earth the pots up, they'll be useless otherwise.

Have a good time! :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 20:06 »
agreed with gobs, and what beautiful weather and fresh air the baby will get, but dont get carried way, it takes a while to get over the birth, never mind the sleepless nights on top!

HUGE HUGE CONGRATS!!!!!!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Clampit

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 20:17 »
Congratulations Lisa. :D  My first year on an allotment was a bit neglectful due to other circumstances, very weedy indeed. None the less I had a good crop of small onions which you couldn't even see for the weeds, my spuds did well ( they were earthed up). My courgettes ended up being huge marrows (made into wine). The only things I lost were my brassica's but the pidgeons and catterpillars loved 'em.

Alex 98

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 20:24 »
Born with a silver FORK in his mouth :D  To the tune of an old WHO song
Nice one :tongue2:
Get em up the plot asap :lol:

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

weeeed

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 20:32 »
Congratulations, I hope everything goes well for you. I second or third what everyone else has said though. Take him to the plot with you and then if you need a kip you can without getting up to answer the door to the 29th visitor of the day :lol:  :lol:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

kezlou

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 20:34 »
congratulations on the birht of your new baby !!!!!  :D

Take it easy and enjoy your time with your new little one, after all you have it the once!

Rest whenever you can and don't over do it, or you'll be tired to enjoy anything.

Kerry x
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 20:50 »
This is the time to play the old sob story on your OH - get him to come along to do the heavy stuff - weeding, hilling up spuds, getting water, etc. Time he did his share - in the garden.
Congrats on the newest green thumb.

Babycat

• Experienced Member
baby
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 20:56 »
Awesome news  :lol:

I had a baby last June and we didnt go back for 6 weeks.  It was our first season on the plot so we did not get to work a lot of the ground as I couldnt dig.  We lost about a 15 out of 50 onions in the tall weeds as they did not get enough sun but all out potatoes were fine.

We had 5 raspberries  :lol:

This year is more positive on the work front although this motherhood thing is time consuming  :roll:  and I go down to the plot with my one year old superstar.  He goes in an outdoor playpen with sun-canopy from BambinoWorld.eu, the graco olympic sport is similar - you can buy them on ebay for around 50 quid.  Well worth it - last weekend I did 2 hours in the garden at home and 2 hours on the lottie.

Dont worry about the veg - just enjoy this special time.

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

dereklane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 20:58 »
Sounds like maybe a fan of the movie? Kolya is one of my favourites. A nice name too. Russian name, wasn't it?

cheers,

Derek

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 28 queries.