My Wood

• 4 Replies

grymalkyn

• Pea Green Boat
My Wood
« on: May 05, 2008, 19:31 »
I'm going to re-vamp our woodland bit this year. Is there anyone out there who knows about Epimediums and Trilliums especially? I'm also doing myself a load of cowslip and primrose seeds, hope to get some more bulbs, etc.

Soil is alkali and not very moist so many ferns don't do well there. And I lie Piet Oudolf planting. All ideas for woodland - dappled shade - planting very welcome. This is a quiet place, not a veggie place  :)

Trillium

My Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 00:40 »
As a lover of trilliums  :wink:  I can say that they prefer more acidic soil as their natural habitat is lower story woodland (rotting veg matter, etc). They also like some dampness but not soggy feet. You'll need to adjust your soils to accomodate with peat, shredded leaves, ericecous (sp) soil, etc, as most of the plants you'd be interested in can't handle alkaline.

Waxbells, turtleheads, astrantias, hostas are just a few that love woodland settings.

grymalkyn

• Pea Green Boat
My Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 23:10 »
Thanks for that, I had a feeling they were acid lovers ... bother! Don't use peat if I can avoid it - usually can - so may have to give Trilliums a miss here, which is a shame as I adore them. Erythroniums do well here so I'll go for those. I suspect Trilliums won't find adding sulphur chips adequate ??? We do make loads of leaf mold each year. Ummm! I'll have to try thinking outside the box here LOL.

Been looking at the Wildside Nursery down at Yelverton, Plymouth, run byt the ex-head gardener of The Garden House. He seems to have an amazing  selection, including loads of epimediums, and is visitable on Thrusdays. Am trying to corner a friend into coming ...

Trillium

My Wood
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:54 »
Planted in a hole of leaf mold should do it for trilliums, and topping up yearly. It doesn't have to be terribly acidic, but definitely not alkaline.

grymalkyn

• Pea Green Boat
My Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:28 »
Oh goody! I can do that.

xx
What should I do with my wood ash

Started by ihusker on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 15:21
by mkhenry
xx
Wood anemones

Started by maloneranger on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 14:42
by maloneranger
xx
Wood anemones

Started by Candide on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post March 01, 2023, 16:07
by Candide
xx
Composting Wood Shavings?

Started by sando8901 on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 12:28
by Brambles

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 36 queries.