Are you "year round" gardeners ?

• 7 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« on: May 05, 2008, 16:03 »
Ie - do you plant so that you always have something to eat from your allotment, even in January and February ? We got our allotment hoping to cut down our fruit and veg spend, and I was wondering if there are people on here manage to be mainly self sufficient when it comes to fruit and veg ? Our plot is only 40x30 but as there is only two of us we hope that it will be big enough to go a good way to keeping us in our 5 a day.

Is this realistic ?
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

wighty

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 16:38 »
Anything and everything that can be frozen, beans, peas, carrots, spinach etc gets frozen ready for laterMost of the beetroot gets pickled along with the gherkins (also made into picallili).  We only tend to eat salad stuff during the summer or stir fries with mangetout which I find doesn't freeze well.  We also grow PSB and leeks for the winter.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 17:04 »
I'm certainly going to try ;) Also with the aid of a feezer but trying to grow enough winter crops to always have something fresh too. I love sprouts especially :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

grymalkyn

• Pea Green Boat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 19:25 »
Try to ... don't always make it  :( . Am getting better at it. It's partly keeping up with succession that cracks me up. And I do tend to hibernate in the winter  :)

If I only did gardening I spose I'd manage. Bet we all say that   :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 19:37 »
January/February.....

Leeks
Sprouts
Parsnip
Carrots
January King Cabbage.... all fresh, plus a load of frozen stuff.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 12:48 »
Try to be doesn't always work but thats part of the fun just finishing off last years onions and leeks at the mo'
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Re: Are you "year round" gardeners ?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 13:10 »
Quote from: "fibilou"
Ie - do you plant so that you always have something to eat from your allotment, even in January and February ? We got our allotment hoping to cut down our fruit and veg spend, and I was wondering if there are people on here manage to be mainly self sufficient when it comes to fruit and veg ? Our plot is only 40x30 but as there is only two of us we hope that it will be big enough to go a good way to keeping us in our 5 a day.

Is this realistic ?

I think my plot is about that size maybe a bit smaller; there are only the 2 of us and we nearly have enough veg. all year. Run short of spuds and onions; the onions because I didn't dry them enough / store them properly I think.
Still eating:
purple sprouting (picked and blanched the remainder now)
leeks (they have been a great crop, standing all year)
spring cabbage.
rhubarb
and have frozen courgettes and beetroot from last year.

In the plot we have a head of rhubarb, a fruit cage containing about 5' of raspberries and 2 x bush blackcurrants; plus 2 x gooseberry bushes and a 4' x 2' strawberry bed. the soft fruits are still establishing so hopefully we'll start to get more of a crop in the coming years.
Elsewhere we have 2 established apple trees, 5 new apple, 1 plum and 1 pear tree dotted around the garden! We hope to do well with these for both storing and jam / wine making :)
Cheers,

Wayne.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 13:33 »
I read Joy Larkcom's article Hungry Gap which tells you what to grow and when to sow to get year round food.  It can be found in her Vegetable Growing handbook and it's a right good read I reckon. It's in the library if you want to browse before getting your own copy

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Wanted "fine gourmet"Cimbing French Bean for next year?

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 20:53
by angelavdavis
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs
xx
Comfrey Tea - "Press" or "Steep"?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:38
by noshed

Page created in 1.476 seconds with 36 queries.