Veggie Plants:Size required before planting out,please

• 3 Replies

sezzie

Hi all,last year was my first year for growing veggies,so I cheated and bought my brassica and pea plants from the nursery,I did sow my cucumber and radish seeds myself..all grew very well.
This year I challenged myself to grow the brassica's(cauli,cabbage and calabrese) from seed and runner beans,onions,leeks,tomatoes,peas.However I keep searching for information on what suitable size(or how many leaves) the plants need to be before planting in the garden.Some will be under cloches. All advise will be gratefully received.thankyou in advance

peterjf

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 22:28 »
JUST CHECK THE BACK OF THE SEED PACKET,

gobs

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 22:34 »
Primarily it is weather, not size. Also not size of 'plant' as most peeps plants are leggy, they are not large, they are broomstick, size of roots that matters rather than height.

All brassica, onions, and peas are perfectly hardy, these could be sown outdoors, only need hardening off, size only matters for particular localised disease and insect problems. If you have clubroot, etc, otherwise any time.

Rest are tender, whatever the size , can't go out before frosts are a thing of past early June, most parts.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Ruby Red

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:36 »
All my brassicas were out on the 1st of May and Ive covered them with cut down 2 litre plastic bottles to bring them on a bit. This also protects

them from slugs and things.They are doing great guns. In fact Ive even put squashes courgettes French beans etc out. I just keep an eye on the

weather forecast and have my plant fleece handy. Been ok up to now. (I will now step back and wait for the flack)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

xx
Planting Garlic .. some advice required please

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 10:04
by wbmkk
xx
Planting Potatoes Late - Chitting Required?

Started by chubby on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 15:31
by DD.
xx
How many sweetcorn plants required for pollination?

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 19:32
by realfood
xx
Planting Garlic - Crop rotation advice required

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2011, 13:20
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.947 seconds with 36 queries.