very silly me...silly silly silly

• 10 Replies

lefrog

• Experienced Member
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:56 »
Over december I decided to prepare a part of my raised bed using the "lasagna gardening technique" ( not not a pasta dish with tomato and cheese) , the idea is create layers of cardboard, homemade compost, and vegetable peeling ( as I have a lot of em with work, including carrot, potatoes, parsnip, salad trimming, bla bla bla...).
forward to april, Looks like using potato peeling wasn t such a great idea ( or a great idea, depending on the person) but looks like loads of the potato pelings have gone to sprouting and I have lot of potato shooting everywhere . ( the spuds used are desiree and marris piper).
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
Henry Ford

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 10:48 »
IMO Best to compost everything first in a heap - this generates enough heat to break it down.  Then spread next year.

I did the cardboard and compost thing on two new beds in Dec '06 and they are now in their second year.    I am well pleased with the results.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

lefrog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:54 »
I was impatient on getting the thing readya.
Bah, you learn from your mistakes, but on the other hand, I am going to have loads of spuds.......

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 11:03 »
I've just copied some photos of my beds into another thread..."no dig how do you do it" I think it's called.  Have a look.  

These beds have been a huge success - so well worth the effort!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:58 »
you have to laugh don't you  :lol:   No such thing as a simple job ey  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 15:04 »
Definitely in gardening, compostqueen  :lol:  Every good gardener can definitely write the 'How Not To' book when they were first learning techniques.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 15:19 »
:lol:

I should mention that in another area where I had a manured bank with grass growing through the old manure, and I gave it the cardboard treatment...... I added card and old hay on top hoping to kill the grass (mostly  worked) and grow pumpkins through holes in the card.

HOWEVER card makes a perfect hide out for slugs which ate the young plants.....

So in the end I planted blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries instead.  

So cardboard if used needs to be DEEP.   :lol:  :lol:

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 18:53 »
I put potato peelings in my composter and they all sprouted too. Took ages to pick them out. Never again :D

gobs

Re: very silly me...silly silly silly
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 19:46 »
Quote from: "lefrog"
Over december I decided to prepare a part of my raised bed using the "lasagna gardening technique" ( not not a pasta dish with tomato and cheese) , the idea is create layers of cardboard, homemade compost, and vegetable peeling ( as I have a lot of em with work, including carrot, potatoes, parsnip, salad trimming, bla bla bla...).
forward to april, Looks like using potato peeling wasn t such a great idea ( or a great idea, depending on the person) but looks like loads of the potato pelings have gone to sprouting and I have lot of potato shooting everywhere . ( the spuds used are desiree and marris piper).

I thought this was a technique for compost making, not beds, you shall have tomato plants, too. :wink:

I'd turn it all over, personally and hope for some later planting than you wanted. No advantage in nurturing these pots, etc. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

woodburner

Re: very silly me...silly silly silly
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 20:21 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "lefrog"

I thought this was a technique for compost making, not beds, you shall have tomato plants, too. :wink:

I'd turn it all over, personally and hope for some later planting than you wanted. No advantage in nurturing these pots, etc. :lol:

I've read of a similar technique, while researching the no-dig method, it mainly involved newspaper and rye grass hay though, not unrotted compost material.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 22:02 »
Quote from: "Milly"
I put potato peelings in my composter and they all sprouted too. Took ages to pick them out. Never again :D

One thing I do remember reading as a gardening novice, as regards composting, is don't use any part of the potato plant in the compost bin.  

Don't try to compost perennial weeds unless you're absolutely sure it's a very hot heap and can be maintained as such for a good time.  

I also seem to remember reading not to risk composting spent tomato plants or strawberry foliage, due to the risk of spreading disease.

These 3 rules, amongst others, have stuck in my mind and I thus never put spud peelings anywhere but the dustbin.  Though I tend to eat them mostly these days anyway.  Not on their own of course, but via washed but unpeeled spuds.

xx
Silly Q...

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:44
by savbo
xx
Are we silly?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 08:03
by ruffmesiter_69
xx
Silly pea question???

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2017, 13:59
by arh
xx
Really Silly Question

Started by Kelly1976 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 16:21
by Ice

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.