Fox proofing for Saturdays arrivals

• 3 Replies

viks chicks

« on: April 30, 2008, 19:48 »
I am getting my 2 chickens on Saturday-am so excited-but also a little worried as I know that there are foxes about!
I know I have to keep the chickens inside their ark for a while to 'acclimatise' to my back garden ( how long for?) but when they are settled I want to let them wander around in the day, and some of the time i won't be around-  
I want to make sure the foxes don't think they can have a free lunch. Has any one tried alpaca/lion/llama poo- human wee or human hair to spread around thier 'territory'...if so is this effective-or a waste of time? or has anyone tried any other on a budget idea to deter foxes?

mummychook

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 20:20 »
Hello and welcome.
Not sure about what other advice you may get but from personal experience try not to let them out! Even in the daytime your chooks are easy prey to a hungry fox.
Mine are in a movable ark and my OH put together a moveable extension out of 2x1 baton and wire so they had more room.  We have a family of foxes who come every night to see if we have slipped up and not secured them.  We have also spotted them on the hedge in the middle of the day eying up my girls.  As long as they are inside the run they are ok and we move them every evening to confuse the fox and give them fresh grass to explore.
We have tried the wee theory and also spray deterrants but to no avail.
For us its better safe than sorry - my neighbour (two fields away) lost all to Mr Fox as she let them free range. Hope you have good luck with yours.
 :D
mummychook

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 20:35 »
Hi we were told to keep the chickens in their run for five days so that they were sure that it was their home. We live in the countryside and so will only be letting them out when we are in the garden!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 21:19 »
mine free range all day. i found the best way to deal with a fox is a nice big gun..... werked for me. :wink:

all you can do is take all the precautions you can, but there is never any guarentee that the fox wont get to them if she's hungry enough.

its part and parcel of keeping chickens.

xx
Penistone Farmers Market (Saturdays)

Started by lucyeff on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 20, 2007, 20:38
by ness
xx
new arrivals

Started by darby on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 07:55
by joyfull
xx
New Arrivals!

Started by Skywise on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 21:02
by bantam novice
xx
new arrivals

Started by jaxon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 16:45
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.