can't break the broody

• 7 Replies

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
can't break the broody
« on: April 30, 2008, 15:14 »
I have a hen who is broody, I made her get out of the next box twice today but she just goes back in. I took the eggs out that she and the others had laid but its made no difference.  she stayed in there all night last night, she very vocal and a bit scary when I try to get her out.

Jellyhead

can't break the broody
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 15:20 »
Might take 2 weeks or so before she gets bored Shazzer. Aunt Sally said once that if you get them very early and give them very quick dunk in cold water it can stop them (havent tried it myself) but I dont know at what stage its too late for that sorry :roll:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
can't break the broody
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 15:23 »
It has to be in the first day or two to dissuade them from being broody.  There's lots of methods but they all boils down to lowering the bird's body temperature which is elevated in a broody.

Bodger

can't break the broody
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 15:25 »
Put her into a shed where there isn't a nest box of any description.

chilcoj

can't break the broody
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 16:41 »
We have a Speckledy that keeps going broody every 4-6 weeks.  :o

We have to segregate her from the others so that she has no access to the nest boxes but she goes back with the flock in the evening.  It normally takes a few days but then she is back to 'normal' :D

It is a pain but I have found it is the only way...dunking them doesn't work and they can catch a cold.

Good luck and keep persevering…it is worth it. :D
Regards
Janette

1 x Light Sussex
1 x Speckledy
1 x Brown Leghorn
1 x ? (brown)
2 x Black Rock
4 x Bluebells
2 x Amber Stars (Psycho 1 & 2)

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
can't break the broody
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 21:10 »
I took out the next boxes this afternoon, but thats not made any difference, shes just fluffed up in the corner where they were, the others are on the the perch, if they more in the night they'll be poohing on her. Any more ideas?

ali.c.b

can't break the broody
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 20:15 »
I have built a broody coop out of a large (2'x2') cardboard box with lots of holes cut in the sides, a wire mesh top and a raised mesh floor. Pop her in there with food and her own water, leave box with bird in outside for a few days (overnight if safe from Mr Todd). Lowering body temp is the trick. It used to be done by perching bird over a bucket of iced water. She'll be quite happy - but let her out every now and then for a scratch about and a (huge) poo.

On the other hand, it's only normal for a hen to be broody so unless it stops the others laying, you could always just leave them to it!

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
can't break the broody
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 21:48 »
HELP I still cant stop my hen being broody.  I,ve sat her on a bag of ice and took out the nest boxes, I've put seed trays in the corner so that its not cosey but she insists on getting ito any space on the house floor that she can,  she hasn't been on the perch at night for over a week now, I've even lifted her up on to it  but shes back down in no time.  She's stopped laying and is hogging the nest box so the others cant get in, I've even kept the pop door shut so that she cant get in , and i let the others in when her guard is down, so they can lay, but shes runs like Linford christie when she sees me opening it to let them out.   i think she might be stressing over it all she clucks contantly.

xx
Do I need to 'break' my broody hen?

Started by dilsdaisy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 19:28
by jinty1911
xx
Break in

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 17:28
by karlooben
xx
Break-in! Goddam crooks!

Started by cudders on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 05:14
by van connick
xx
Break in the weather would be grand!!

Started by doodoo on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 20:48
by karlooben

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 36 queries.