Chickens spectacles.

• 30 Replies

peggyprice

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 13:17 »
Bodger said on another thread that he was sourcing them, so just waiting to hear from him.

meantime, I've just (two minutes ago!) received in the post some anti peck rings that I got from the Wildfowl Trust http://www.www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/sundries1.html

Now all I have to do is get it onto Dorothy .... :shock:  :shock:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Bodger

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 13:26 »
They've taken my money and now I' awaiting delivery. :lol:

peggyprice

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 13:44 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
They've taken my money and now I' awaiting delivery. :lol:

Sounds like you're talking about my teenagers there, Bodge  :lol:

Fire2920

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 15:18 »
Right Bodger, im keen to get my hands on them so just let me know if you have plenty and if i can have a couple of pairs, how much they will be so that we can sort something out    :wink:

Thanks peggyprice these look like they would stop there beaks from closing, it would stop the feather pulling, but will they feed ok any chance of some pics of your hens modeling a ring, mine are going to take some catching so that i can fit them on   :lol:
??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

Fire2920

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 15:21 »
Just had another look at the drawing of that hen with the ring on it  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  punk rock or what  :lol:  :lol:

peggyprice

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 15:41 »
Your wish is my command, o Fiery One ...

Definitely a two person job, and she wasn't impressed; kept trying to sneeze it out and is now wandering round making a sort of clicking noise (bit like Captain Hook & the clock  :lol: ).  I was worried that it was pinching on top of her nostrils rather than fitting into them (who was to know four weeks ago that I would be discussing a hen's nostrils, for crying out loud  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: ) but once she'd had a poo on my arm and flapped her wings in my face she seemed fine ...

I fed her some corn afterwards though and she seemed to be able to take it OK - am going to go back out and check that she's still coping with it in a minute.  

According to the leaflet that came with the rings it stops her being able to close her beak on a feather, without stopping her eating or drinking normally.  We'll see tonight whether it stops her pecking at the newbies, and tomorrow we'll find out whether it makes any difference to the egg eating (PLEASE will someone find me a smiley for crossed fingers, I seem to need it on a daily basis  :) )

If you just want to try one, PM me and I'll pop you a couple of the spares in the post...

peggyprice

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 15:44 »
PS If you click on the pics in the message you'll get a better close-up ...

Very photogenic, our Dorothy  :lol:

Bodger

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 16:03 »
Two or three pairs should fit in an envelope and go with a first class stamp and the cost is about 15 p each on top of that. I've sent for a pack of 100, so there should be plenty to go around and they are re usable.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 18:40 »
I had to fit one of my two hens with the bits from the Wildfowl trust. They do work and do not upset the hen when she has got used to it. I removed the ring after a month but she still had not learned her lesson so I had to put it back in. Just watch her for a little while to make sure that she can eat.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 19:02 »
They get used to eating with them fitted in no time.  Make sure that the little bit of skin at the top of the nostril is not pinched by the ring though.

Fire2920

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 20:18 »
Thanks peggyprice PM on it's way you are a star

:D  :wink:

Fire2920

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 08:28 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
Your wish is my command, o Fiery One ...

Definitely a two person job, and she wasn't impressed; kept trying to sneeze it out and is now wandering round making a sort of clicking noise (bit like Captain Hook & the clock  :lol: ).  I was worried that it was pinching on top of her nostrils rather than fitting into them (who was to know four weeks ago that I would be discussing a hen's nostrils, for crying out loud  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: ) but once she'd had a poo on my arm and flapped her wings in my face she seemed fine ...

I fed her some corn afterwards though and she seemed to be able to take it OK - am going to go back out and check that she's still coping with it in a minute.  

According to the leaflet that came with the rings it stops her being able to close her beak on a feather, without stopping her eating or drinking normally.  We'll see tonight whether it stops her pecking at the newbies, and tomorrow we'll find out whether it makes any difference to the egg eating (PLEASE will someone find me a smiley for crossed fingers, I seem to need it on a daily basis  :) )

If you just want to try one, PM me and I'll pop you a couple of the spares in the post...

One favor deserves another :lol:  :lol:

peggyprice

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 11:04 »
[/quote]

Yippee!!  :lol:

Fire2920

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 14:39 »
Right the nose ring is on  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Thanks again to peggyprice hope that solves my feather plucking hen :wink:

peggyprice

Chickens spectacles.
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 17:25 »
Certainly seems to have helped on the bullying at this end ... though thanks to Bodger we're about to try the spectacles to see if we can cure the egg eating as well.  Don't think she can wear the specs and the nose ring both at the same time though  :wink:

Anyway, Fiery - show us the pics ... we should have a special punk chicks gallery  :lol:

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
New chickens

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 15:23
by New shoot

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 37 queries.