Sharing mistakes and triumphs growing veg

• 17 Replies

Carol

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 19:57 »
Also do not plant the whole packet of seeds in one go. I had to re-home about 50 broccoli plants!
Carol - aiming for organicness.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 21:55 »
I always sow too much in case they don't germinate, then if I get too many plants, I try to sell them outside the front gate, and if they don't go, I give them way on Freecycle!!

My biggest mistake, is listening to OH who thinks he knows everything, then regretting it when things go wrong!!!  Last year I sowed seeds in the long thingy's where you get 5 per seed tray.  Brian comes along and says why don't you plant a whole tray at a time, instead of faffing about with little bits?  Fine I said as long as you dig the rest of the lawn up to take the extra veggies!!!!! lol

Or the other one is not digging my veg garden over during the winter, because it's either too wet, too cold or too windy, or I'm just not in the mood, then spring comes along and I have to rush to get it done before my seedlings give up on me!!!

purplebean

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 12:28 »
Not washing pots as soon as I plant out, then I end up with a huge pile of dirty pots to wash before I can sow anything and they are much more difficult to wash when all the compost is dried hard.

Last year my leeks stayed pencil sized (they look so embarrassing) and my celeriac never got bigger than a golf ball, no idea why but it could be related to lack of feeding and the fact that I didn't plant the leeks into a hole as recommended, they looked so forlorn dangling in a hole that I filled them in a bit.

xx
Sharing

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 17:53
by poultrygeist
xx
sharing the greenhouse

Started by EVIE on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 21:34
by fletch
xx
Sharing the harvest

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2021, 12:45
by Goosegirl
xx
Garden sharing

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 01:28
by Aitch

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 36 queries.