Fat chicken - not healthy ???

• 4 Replies

eggs on legs

« on: April 28, 2008, 14:55 »
I'm a bit worried about  chicken No.1   :?

Her "undercarriage" is hanging very low. This has become most visible in the last 2 weeks. She waddles or shuffles ok but has problems  getting up sometimes. I picked her up and her tummy is a bit raw where it drags on the ground. The stomach seems bloated or just very fat.

Chicken No.2 is identical (but possibly younger) and she still has perfect posture.

Is she old, ill or what ?   :shock:

See attached pics. Both hens in one, and chubby chick in the other. The white bits to her rear are wood chips !! She is clean enough and seems happy enough, but just not as mobile as the others.

I have 5 hens and get 4 eggs regularly, presumably not one from chubby chick.

Any suggestions ???? :shock:

IMG]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/eggsonlegs/DSCN5739.jpg[/IMG]
Cherie always says:
"A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat, but then what does she know about anything".

eggs on legs

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 14:58 »
The other picture disappeared somewhere - hopefully this is it !!   of the 2 hens.
 :shock:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 17:06 »
She should not be like that EoL  :(  I would think she is not laying,and may have either sterile egg peritonitis (as she seems well and not in distress) or possibly a tumour.  She will certainly not be comfortable.

The decision is yours about how to treat her.  If she is otherwise fit and well, eating and drinking, you could just keep an eye on her for any changes.  If she becomes unwell you could get a vets opinion and probably antibiotics or you could take the third option  :cry:

eggs on legs

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:52 »
Thanks for that.

She seems like a on old lady. Spends a lot of time just sitting quietly, or following the others around - and eating / drinking the same.
She still manages to go up and down the coop ramp ok, but I dont think she perches.
I may put her in a hutch on her own, but she seems ok at the moment, just cumbersome.

eggs on legs

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:40 »
Well almost  4 weeks on and Fat Chicken is still alive and "well".  :)

I put her on her own for a few days to see if she laid eggs and preferred it at a low level (in a hutch on the grass). But no eggs. She had the run of the garden (unlike the rest who eat all the plants & flowers) but spent most of the time sitting as near to the others as the fence would allow.
So when I let the others out she moved back in of her own will with the others - up the ramp - and has stayed with them ever since.

I couldnt see the sense in an expensive vet telling me it was ill or it needed expensive drugs to keep it alive a week longer.

So at the moment she just waddles but seems to be in no pain or even discomfort. Just too fat...like a lot of people. :shock:

xx
Feather loss in a healthy chicken

Started by Diamond on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 23:20
by GrannieAnnie
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
healthy chickens

Started by brrian on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 18:41
by joyfull
xx
Healthy hen weight

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 17:05
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 36 queries.