Square Foot Gardening

• 5 Replies

Katieb

Square Foot Gardening
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:47 »
Hi All

Does anyone know of anywhere where I could get some wood to begin a square foot garden?

And would anyone recommend this method, because there are so many weeds on my allotment!!

Thanks, Kate

Bear

Square Foot Gardening
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 12:17 »
Hi Katie

Depends on how much you want, how big the beds are going to be, how handy you are with saw, hammer etc.

Lots of people go for old scaffolding planks, phone local scaffolding companies to see if they are throwing any out. You could also check Freecycle for your area to see what people are giving away - you may need to adapt whatever you get with that saw though.

Katieb

Thank you
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:25 »
Thanks very much I really appreciate it.  

Kate

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Square Foot Gardening
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 13:21 »
There is a www site for the square foot gardenering site!
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/
I was about to use this method at home having bought the book ...then I got my allotment! I will not be using it on the allotment as I have much more space now.
If youre not a handy person you can buy plastic planks for your raised bed that clip together (no DIY required ) i think Harrods is the name of one of the companies that sell them. I think they are expensive though but its all relative I suppose.

Best wishes

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

NoodleSoup

Square Foot Gardening
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 15:55 »
Quote from: "jazzbyrd"
If youre not a handy person you can buy plastic planks for your raised bed that clip together (no DIY required ) i think Harrods is the name of one of the companies that sell them. I think they are expensive though but its all relative I suppose.

I used plastic planks for my veggie patch, but it depends how much of the stuff you need and whether you are going to do double sides etc as then it would work out very expensive!!

I only have a tiny veggie patch and I used link-a-bord (link: http://www.linkabord.co.uk/home.page) as it was the cheapest and easiet option for me. It only took me a few minutes to put togther and I've been really happy with it so far (although I do concede that wood probably looks a bit nicer than black plastic!)

compostqueen

Square Foot Gardening
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 11:23 »
I have some Link a bord beds and they're very good cos they're twin walled and retain heat. I've overwintered all sorts of veg on them such as pak choi, carrots etc for early crops in spring.  Mine are green and I think they look fine on the plot  :D

xx
Square foot gardening

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 20:25
by Riala
xx
Anybody tried square foot gardening

Started by blue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 16:48
by Hopalong
xx
square foot gardening.

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 21:15
by digalotty
xx
Square Foot Gardening grid

Started by PhilConnors on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 19, 2021, 08:08
by Growster...

Page created in 0.636 seconds with 37 queries.