soot in the greenhouse

• 3 Replies

gus

soot in the greenhouse
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:47 »
Can anyone help me? Went into the greenhouse this morning and there is a fine dusting of soot on all my plants and seedlings (from the paraffin heater- wick must have needed retrimming).  :shock:  What I want to know is, has it ever happened to anyone and what did they do? and can I still use my seedlings? Almost all of them are veg ones and I don't want to use them if there could be a problem I would rather start over. :(  I am worried about carcinogens!
computer illiterate, a one finger typist but doggedly determined to keep up with this new technology and use it to help me on my allotment.

Trillium

soot in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 15:18 »
I don't have a greenhouse or heater, but logic suggests that if you can water spray (gently) all the leaves, it should remove most of the dust, then leave a fan on low to dry off the leaves. A few of the leaf pores will still have some dust, but I can't imagine it would have far reaching carcinogenic effects.

gus

soot in the greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 16:46 »
Thanks for that Trillium, I just wanted to be sure that someone else thaught the seedlings could be saved before i tried washing the soot off. I like the idea of the fan so that will be my next job. :)

matron

soot in the greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 19:59 »
Exactly the same thing happened to us a couple of weeks ago. OH sprayed the plants but we lost the tomatoes. We now have a gas heater.  :lol:  :lol:

xx
SOOT

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 20:35
by sunshineband
xx
Soot

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 07:33
by dmhain
xx
Soot

Started by bigginge on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:05
by Goosegirl
xx
Wood ash/soot-where best to use?

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 22:27
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.