New Starter - Feed Query

• 7 Replies

Bekki

New Starter - Feed Query
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:25 »
Hi All,  

We're about to get some ex-battery hens as garden pets.  We are having some trouble finding a local feed supplier in Kent/East Sussex.  We're only looking to buy a couple of bags (20kg/25kg) of feed at a time, and would prefer to use local businesses, either to where we live or work.
Can anyone suggest anywhere?

Many Thanks

Bekki

babe

• elvis king of chooks
New Starter - Feed Query
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:39 »
Hi bekki and welcome.

do you have any local horse feed suppliers near you, as most of them will also sell poultry supplies too.

do you also have all your other bits ready, you dont say if you are new to chickens or not.

but ask any questions you need too, there's lots of help on here.

Bekki

New Starter - Feed Query
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:39 »
Hi Babe,

We're new to livestock, but have always rescued all our pets and have decided that, as we now have a much larger garden, we can be a bit more adventureous! Ex-battery hens seemed a good choice and fits with our attempts be become more self sufficent.

My husband is building me an ark style coop + run.  I've done tonnes of research abut couldn't find any reference to feed suppliers locally.  I've figured that I need to feed layer pellets in the morning and mixed grain in the evening; does that sound right?

Any advice for a beginner would really be appreciated!

Bekki

Vember

New Starter - Feed Query
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:46 »
Feed wise thats brill. Have you got grit, oyster shell??
Treat wise and basically if you want to get them hand tame I use Mealworms, they'll do anything for them!! Also bits of apple plums etc.

Have you looked on here:
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1688
Tells you everything really and don't forget to look at the internal & external parasite section :)

Welcome to the Hen House, enjoy your birds when you get them.             I can watch mine all day they're so much fun

ck2day

• Experienced Member
New Starter - Feed Query
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:48 »
Hi Bekki,

Good luck with your ex-batts, I have 12 of them and they provide endless fun and eggs of course.

Re feed suppliers, if you go onto  http://www.yell.com/ucs/HomePageAction.do and type in feed merchants and your area you should be able to find plenty of places to supply you with feed.

I feed mine layers pellets in the morning and then a little grain in the evening, they also get left over cooked veg (when we have any) and a few other treats, but not any meat products or anything with salt in (ie crisps).

Someone else will be along soon with lots more advice, but anymore questions ask away

Claire

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
New Starter - Feed Query
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:51 »
All I'll add to the others at the moment, is if you've never kept chooks before, be prepared to be shocked and upset when you get your chooks!  Some of them are in a really bad way, especially feather wise when you first get them, but you sound quite level headed, so hopefully you will be fine!  Also, Some of the ex batts run out of eggs quite quickly, so also be prepared to feed unproductive mouths!

Poor little mites are sometimes so stressed out that they never lay again, but some will go in for a couple of years.  It's a bit of a lottery keeping ex batts!!!!

Can't help more on the where to get feed thing though, as Its nearly 12 years since I left Kent!!!!!

But good luck with your new family!!!!!!

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
New Starter - Feed Query
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:59 »
Hiya, cant give you any ideas of where to buy feed as i am the other end of the country but you could ask the person you are getting your exbatts off where locally you can buy food. Also if your ex batts have just been rescued you will need to feed them layers mash to begin with as this is all they have ever eaten. Good luck with your ex batts. We have 3 and we love them so much. Seeing them enjoy grass and space for the 1st time is the best feeling.

compostqueen

New Starter - Feed Query
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 12:25 »
the layers pellets have everything in they need, including grit. They say they love corn mix so I'm going to get mine some for a treat.

xx
mixing chicks with hens- Feed query

Started by wildy78 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 19:45
by wildy78
xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
How to feed/howmuch to feed

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 22:14
by Jacinta

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 29 queries.