fushia cuttings

• 8 Replies

charley1980

fushia cuttings
« on: April 22, 2008, 16:36 »
Hi, I've got lots of fuschias that I bought a couple of weeks ago and want to take cuttings (you can never have too many plants!)

Never donethis before, so advice needed please!

Where do i take the cutting from on te plant and do I dip in rooting powder before planting?

thanks!

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
fushia cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 17:30 »
Dont know the answer but would like to do the same.
So eagerly waiting for response :lol:
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Big Jen

fushia cuttings
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 22:26 »
Fuschias are very easy to take cuttings from. This is what works for me- take a cutting about 3 ins long, remove the lower leaves and trim just below a leaf junction cleanly with a sharp knife. Put about 6 cuttings around edge of a shallow 3 inch pot of damp compost, plant deeply right up to the remaining leaves. Cover with a plastic bag to retain moisture. Keep somewhere warm but not in direct sunlight.  I never bother with rooting powder they will root easily without it. When obvious new growth starts, nip out the tops to encourage side shoots. When roots are coming out of bottom of pot , pot up separately
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

jack russell

fushia cuttings
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 00:15 »
Hi BJ so when is the best time to take cuttings please :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Big Jen

fushia cuttings
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 20:03 »
Hi Jack Russel, sorry long time replying, been on hols.
Now is a very good time to take cuttings but really all summer is good when its warm
BJ

Charlwood1005

fushia cuttings
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 21:07 »
Quote from: "Big Jen"
Fuschias are very easy to take cuttings from. This is what works for me- take a cutting about 3 ins long, remove the lower leaves and trim just below a leaf junction cleanly with a sharp knife. Put about 6 cuttings around edge of a shallow 3 inch pot of damp compost, plant deeply right up to the remaining leaves. Cover with a plastic bag to retain moisture. Keep somewhere warm but not in direct sunlight.  I never bother with rooting powder they will root easily without it. When obvious new growth starts, nip out the tops to encourage side shoots. When roots are coming out of bottom of pot , pot up separately
BJ

I do same as above but add some sand or grit to the compost, because cuttings need to be in a free draining compound.  If you are pinching out the fuchsias I would use them as cuttings, but keep them frost free.

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: fushia cuttings
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 22:28 »
Quote from: "charley1980"
Hi, I've got lots of fuschias that I bought a couple of weeks ago and want to take cuttings (you can never have too many plants!)

Never donethis before, so advice needed please!

Where do i take the cutting from on te plant and do I dip in rooting powder before planting?

thanks!

I have various indoor fuschias and have taken (soft) shoot cuttings for years now in nothing more complex than plain water.  Empty Shwartz-type spice jars are ideal as are empty pill (medicine) bottles.  Trim the lower leaves and insert the stem into the container making sure it's in the water.  They often show roots in as little as 2 days and can then be potted into 3" pots.

charley1980

fushia cuttings
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48 »
Thanks Guys, I'll get pinching then!! :)

Oliveview

fushia cuttings
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 21:14 »
Me too, I have a nice fushia that is getting big, I wsa only thinking today that I´d have a go at taking cuttings, so Ta for this thread :D
Pamela

xx
cuttings outside

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 17:01
by viettaclark
xx
cuttings!! what next??

Started by starry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 15:10
by mumofstig
xx
Cuttings - how do you do yours?

Started by dmg on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 16:15
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
cuttings

Started by TINTIN on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 13:06
by tode

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 37 queries.