Burying Grass

• 5 Replies

ldavison10

Burying Grass
« on: April 22, 2008, 13:03 »
Hi all,

Time pressed person that ive become with regard to weeding the flower beds since the birth of my son, I recently cut border weed grass sods quite deep, and flipped them over.

Is this enough to basically compost the sods?

In a couple of places I didnt manage to get all the weeds up, but had some bark chips left over so i covered them. Will they die off or can i expect to be pulling weeds through bark in a couple of weeks?

Trouble is, ive filled my green bin with so many grass sods i cant move it so im gonna have to bury some. I have flowers in the front so cant really put it under them, i do have scope to dig the back up because im putting veg in there eventually. Last thing i want though is loads of grass appearing under and around the veg!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Lee

Trillium

Burying Grass
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 13:54 »
The turned over sod should die off for the most part. If some are partly turned then they're likely to grow back to some degree. The weeds are likely to pop through the chip mulch unless it's quite thick. I've found that putting down a black weed barrier fabric first then the mulch keeps things under better control longer.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Burying Grass
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 18:28 »
Must admit that when I saw the titile of the thread, my thoughts turned to hiding something illicit!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beejay

• Experienced Member
Burying Grass
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:08 »
You can pile the sods, grass side down and after a few months you get a pile of useful loam. Better than the sods going in the bin :D
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

polly nator

• Experienced Member
Burying Grass
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:07 »
When I had some lawn renmoved to make deep raised beds we turned all the sods upside down and put them at the bottom of the beds. I have had no weeds coming through at all. I'd recycle them as much as possible - a waste of nutrients otherwise.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Burying Grass
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 17:56 »
I have recycled all the (weed rich) lawn that I dug out to make beds, just double dug and put the turf upside down before backfilling. No weeds have come up from it and the soil is much better than was there before. I would not throw any turf away if you can make a hole and put it in the bottom.

Charlie

xx
Burying plants? Numpty question.

Started by whistler on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 20:16
by Ice
xx
Help, how to remove pampas grass and mystery grass identification.

Started by WeavingGryphon on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 20:36
by jezza
xx
Help, how to remove pampas grass and mystery grass identification?

Started by AustinGreyson on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 19:30
by jezza
xx
grass

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:43
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.