dont know what to do,help??

• 4 Replies

milly8

« on: April 21, 2008, 11:45 »
we finally managed to get our little broody into separate acc.she completey rejected all previous attempts but is now well settled in an old rabbit hatch of all things.my problem is this ,her eggs would be due to hatch on sat/sun but i really have my doubts.on candling three looked ok ,one was clear and she had repeatedly chucked out the other two.i am doing project with kids in school and need just one or two little chicks so the kids arent dissappionted.my two understand that we might not get any this time but the kids in school dont and are so excited bout it.
i wish we had been able to get her settled on her own before but couldnt!!!my question is this should i put some more eggs under her now?? should i wait til sun/mon and put more eggs under if others dont hatch.
i have been trying to find somewhere near me that sells day old but havent been able to yet!!!
what type of chickens can you get that you can tell boys from girls at day old (are they called sex linked)-we got caught out by someone who sold us two boys that should have been girls at the start of our chicken adventure and dont want that to happen again if we get day olds to put under her

how long do they stay broody??she is eating and drinking from our hands so no problems with her losing condition,in fact i think she looks better than she did.
sorry for all the questions!! help help help
MAD MOTHER WITH TOO MANY ANIMALS!!!!!!

milly8

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:26 »
anybody??please give me some advice!!??????

Jellyhead

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:40 »
A friend of mine has got a broody that has hatched 2 chicks and the mummy is still sitting tight on 3 eggs. The 3 eggs had been added unbeknown to her by her daughter about a week ago so it seems that poor mummy will have to sit tight for another 2 weeks. Not ideal as the babies will be 3 weeks old but she didnt want to kill the week old eggies. She should stay broody all the while she has eggies under her tho one of mine did get bored after 5 weeks. We replaced duff ones with new ones but the ducks broke a couple and she got fed up. I would wait until Monday and if its looking grim stick another couple under her and keep your fingers crossed. Hope this helps Millie8
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Vember

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:44 »
I'd wait and see if the others hatch, have you got another broody?? You could start some others under??

Re sexlinked don't know if this is much use to you:
http://www.webelfin.com/chickens/chickbreeds.html

Sorry prob not much use to you

milly8

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 21:25 »
ta for help.no no other broody,only have 5 chickens in total and when she went broody i thought it would be nice for the kids but to be honest its stressing me out!!!!!cant bear to think that any little chicks havent made it cause of something we did wrong!!!
an going to wait til mon and then make a decision what to do.sholud i get day olds to put under her or new fretile eggs??

xx
i just dont know what to do

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 18:21
by karlooben
xx
:( dont want to do this but think i need to

Started by clairerey on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 10:15
by clairerey
xx
Dont know what to do...?

Started by peewee_lane on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 14:43
by peewee_lane
xx
WHAT DONT THEY EAT?????

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 24, 2009, 00:29
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 37 queries.