Raised Bed - Small one!

• 7 Replies

Coin

Raised Bed - Small one!
« on: April 20, 2008, 12:13 »
Hi
im building a small raised bed in a sunny spot , about 8 foot by 4 by 1 foot deep, any ideaqs what i can grow in here? Veggies? :?:

Hampshire Hog

Raised Bed - Small one!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 13:59 »
Depends what you like. A couple of courgette plants plus lettuce would be pretty productive use of a bed.

:) Cheers HH
Keep digging

dumpling

Raised Bed - Small one!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 14:06 »
Hi there Coin, looks like you're new too so welcome.

What's the soil like under your raised bed? It would help
to fork it over before putting the bed on top, and even dig
in some goodness like rotted compost. Look for worms as
they indicate healthy soil.

My raised beds are 9ft x 3ft and I (try to) grow most things.

Try radishes and lettuce first, all easy.

gobs

Raised Bed - Small one!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 14:49 »
Hello Coin!

Really, as said, anything you like, but I too would suggest to dig over underneath first.

I'd think lettuce, radish and courgettes all can just be in a pot, if you are short for space. Use the bed for something more demanding.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Raised Bed - Small one!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 15:52 »
Hi coin welcome to the forums  :D
grow what you like to eat, cut and come again lettuce are good ones, carrots like raised beds, radish, anything really.

Have a look at the square foot gardening websites for some Great ideas with space. :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
Raised Bed - Small one!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 19:43 »
My tiny back garden has been transformed by very small raised beds . They are about 80 cm wide and run the length of each side of the garden  but are divided up into sections of about 80-100 cm length. So most of the sections are approx 80 x 80 cm . The depth is about 50 cm.
I'd suggest growing whatever you like to eat best. I  also like to grow things which ,make best use  the vertical - such as runner beans, leeks, carrots. Leeks and carrots can be grown much closer together than you think in these beds.
  Last year I managed quite reasonable quantities of leeks, carrots, broccoli, beans, swiss chard, peas, courgettes, tomatoes. This year I have added a gooseberry bush, raspberries and a tiny asparagus bed and even some dwarf fruit trees. really I think you could try anything if you have the depth. Each year add a bit more topsoil, compost etc - main thing though is not to plant the same crop in the same area the next year.
  Salads can go in pots very easily and potatoes can go in big tubs etc
You can keep a very close eye on pests with these raised beds and if managed properly no digging and minimal weeding.
  Good luck!

Coin

Raised Bed - Small one!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 20:13 »
Hi

Thanks for all the ideas - as far as poppoing in rotted stuff goes ive got loads of last years grass cuttings, OK to put this rotted stuff in? - also im going to get a few hens so their muck may come in handy.
i think i'll go for lettuce, radishes, carrots broccoli and put some potatoes in big bins :shock:

retrorose

Raised Bed - Small one!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 21:41 »
Hi, I have set up my first raised beds this year. The first has carrots, parsnips, onions, shallots and some companion plants. The next one has potatoes. The third has mixed lettuces and rocket. The fourth has peas and will have dwarf french beans. I am sowing a small row every 10-14 days. By keeping these veg together the rotation will work, although I have sneaked some broccolli and leeks into the end of the lettuce bed, as it was lying empty and I needed a seed bed for them.
I added sheep manure mixed with straw that was partially composted, to the bottom, and there is a good bit of horse compost full of worms in it too.
Good luck.
Just starting to grow veg this year in four raised beds at home.

xx
My small raised bed

Started by newseed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 18:47
by newseed
xx
Small amount of empty raised bed space ...

Started by Carmen7878 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 11:34
by agapanthus
xx
Small tomatoes, small success?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 10:17
by Mike.white
xx
how small are yours

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 10:22
by rugbymad40

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 36 queries.