Chicken Poo, Children and Childminding

• 11 Replies

viks chicks

« on: April 19, 2008, 22:37 »
I have just bought an ark with a teeny run attached. I really want to let my chickens roam around the garden-as the run is so small (3.5 foot)  but am concerned that OFSTED will disaprove of my childminding business being run where I will use the garden alongside chickens and their poo! Is chicken poo outrageously harmful if injested by children? Is there any information available to support that chicken poo can be of benifit to the immune system? So that I can try to persuade OFSTED to allow me to let the chickens roam free?  
If i can't let them roam, am I right in thinking a 3ft run whcih is only 52cm high on the small side?[[/color]

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 22:46 »
It sounds very small for chooks Vik.  Can you separate a bit of the garden off  for the chooks that the chilren can't go into.

Chickens produce a lot of poo you know  :shock:

viks chicks

Aunt Sally.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 22:50 »
Thanks Aunt Sally--I have never used a forum before...but am about to go and read all the 'rules'. I am going to think of inventive ways to section off a bit of the garden if i have to , but i really want them wandering around freely, if I can.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 22:52 »
Chicken poo is not a good nutritional supliment for children  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 22:55 »
Hi I think your gonna have to go with what Aunty says, can't see ofsted letting you have them loose with the kids, not only that have you thought how the parents may feel, it only takes Avian flu to rear it's ugly head  :shock:

Either that or make the run bigger and only keep a couple, depends on the breed too banty's take up less room.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Belinda

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 23:00 »
Having been a childminder and pre-school worker myself I can't see them approving. Your best bet as said is to fence off some garden either for the chickens or the kids :)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 09:30 »
In the dim and distant past, I was involved with Ofsted and agree with the other posters.  :roll: I'd lose the kids and let the hens roam free...!!! :lol:  :lol:

Judi :wink:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 09:47 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
In the dim and distant past, I was involved with Ofsted and agree with the other posters.  :roll: I'd lose the kids and let the hens roam free...!!! :lol:  :lol:

Judi :wink:

woo hoo, im with judi on this one   :wink:  :lol:

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken Poo, Children and Childminding
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 10:01 »
Quote from: "viks chicks"
I have just bought an ark with a teeny run attached. I really want to let my chickens roam around the garden-as the run is so small (3.5 foot)  but am concerned that OFSTED will disaprove of my childminding business being run where I will use the garden alongside chickens and their poo! Is chicken poo outrageously harmful if injested by children? Is there any information available to support that chicken poo can be of benifit to the immune system? So that I can try to persuade OFSTED to allow me to let the chickens roam free?  
If i can't let them roam, am I right in thinking a 3ft run whcih is only 52cm high on the small side?[[/color]

hello viks I too am a child minder are you already registered with OFSTED?
 as long as the chook's are in the run when they inspect and as long as you have a good cleaning program installed then there is no worries. I suppose it depends on what age the children are. All you have to do really is keep an eye on them and make sure that they are told not to eat the poo. As long as the parent's are happy then ofsted can not say anything anyway. You have to remember it is our job as childminders to enrich the children's lives that we have in our care. I get my kids to do all sort's they were helping me rear 3,000 pheasant polts and release and feed them.

I can not see any problems with the chickens and I don't think the poo is dangerous as long as you adeer to the worming routine that we all should anyway. Also remember that you take them to feed the duck's and stuff at the pond or park they stand more of a chance of geting ill from that than home reard anilals Kid's love all that stuff hun and if you can get some photo's of the kids' feeding and interacting with the chickens and better yet them eating the egg's then great. If i was you i would do a letter to the parent's with a permision form then ofstead can not say anything anyway.
Here is a draft permision form if you pm me your email addy i will send you the proper form
Animal interaction  permission
I/we The parents of the child/children named below give the following permission to allow them to interact with all animals the named childminder has in His/her possession and have been explained the advantages of such interaction

Child’s name   
Childminder’s name   
Childminder’s signature   

Date   
Parent(s)’ name   
Parent(s)’ signature   

Date    
Parent(s)’ name   
Parent(s)’ signature   

Date    

Dont tell lies you get in trouble

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 11:20 »
Lovely piccies Jim....but I'd rather see your hens!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
(I'm a mum so it's not that I don't like children but hens are definately cheaper to keep!)
 :wink:  :roll:  :wink:
Judi

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 13:09 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
Lovely piccies Jim....but I'd rather see your hens!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
(I'm a mum so it's not that I don't like children but hens are definately cheaper to keep!)
 :wink:  :roll:  :wink:
Judi

I dont have any hen's YET

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 18:19 »
What a great thing to do with the children Jim - Fantastic learning experience  :!:  :D

xx
children and chicken poo

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 17:02
by chookiepaula
xx
chicken - pooh - children

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 17:53
by beulah59
xx
Children and chickens

Started by Jane Vennik on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 15, 2007, 00:21
by Tensing
xx
Help! Poorly children

Started by adw on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 11:33
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 37 queries.