Gazumped

• 14 Replies

Bodger

Gazumped
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:27 »
I mentioned a week or two ago that I had arranged to have some day old Ixworths. These are an old breed of table chickens from the 1930s. I'd agreed a price of £1.50p a chick. I've just had a PM on another forum from an intermediary, to say that the breeder ( Please note that I said breeder and not bleeder) has since discovered that Ixworths are quote " on the rare breeds list" and that the price has gone upto £3.50p a bird.
I've said something back to him along the lines of stick them where the sun don't shine. :lol: and consequently, I wont be having Ixworths this year. :lol:

Foxy

Gazumped
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:31 »
thats a shame Bodger - how about trying to get hold of an Ixworth pair? or a cockerel and pair him up with something? £3.50 sounds expensive! But have you agreed directly with the breeder at £1.50?

Jellyhead

Gazumped
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:38 »
I would have told him that he had put the price in writing and that legally he had to stick to it. I would be tempted Bodge to get some somewhere else and then advertise them for £1.50 by the same methods of advertising that he uses. Greedy b*****d :x Charging what they are worth is one thing but going back on a deal is DIRTY :evil:
On the other hand WHAT GOES ROUND COMES ROUND and he will get his comeuppance in one way or another :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Bodger

Gazumped
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:42 »
The price was fixed with the breeder at either one pound a hatching egg or one pound fifty pence at day old. I was goig to have twelve at that price with the intention of keeping a trio and sticking the rest in the freezer.

Foxy

Gazumped
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:45 »
I know if someone who breeds them -up North somewhere I could e-mail and see what he has? I think he may have hatching eggs too.

Bodger

Gazumped
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:49 »
Thanks foxy.

I've just sent a PM to the chap in the middle, which I've changed a couple of times. I was having some quail from the same source and I've basically said to him that a deal is a deal and that if the breeder wants to play it like that, then he can forget the quail and the Ixworths.
If I make a deal and say that I'm going to do something, then I stick by it. :twisted:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Gazumped
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:21 »
everything may have a value.

but they are still only worth, what someone is actually willing to pay.

he may find that down to his greed, he ends up with chooks that he just cant sell.

the lady who will be hatching my polands, japanese and sultans, is charging £2 each. but she hatches to order and gets them on their feet for the first few days.

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Gazumped
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:52 »
Thats a shame Bodger that he changed his mind about the price of the eggs after he agreed a price. To be honest id say £3.50 is a good price for day old Ixworth chicks i know of a breeder who sells them at £7.00 near me as day olds and £12 as growers and £25 as POL pullets. I have been looking into Ixworths for a while and i want to keep some but ive had a job getting hold of them. I am getting 12 eggs next week from a breeder for a higher price than you first agreed for the day olds i would of been happy to pay £3.50 for day olds but its unfair how he changed the price like that.
Im sure you will come across some again.

Bodger

Gazumped
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 14:18 »
I'm going to stick with my old idea of crossing a gamecock onto my Light Sussexes to produce traditional table birds next year :D

woodburner

Gazumped
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 15:06 »
Makes you wonder where he got them from if he didn't know what they were worth . . .
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Foxy

Gazumped
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 15:15 »
spotted this on another forum I like to browse the for sale section

http://www.pekinbantams.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=29091

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Gazumped
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 15:16 »
He couldnt of known much about the breed if he only just realized they are endangered. I would rather see the parent stock for myself to make sure

Jellyhead

Gazumped
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 17:19 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
I'm going to stick with my old idea of crossing a gamecock onto my Light Sussexes to produce traditional table birds next year :D

Bodge, does that mean you end up with Light Cocks :shock:  or Game Sexes :shock:  :shock:  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Gazumped
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 17:24 »
Quote from: "Jellyhead"
Quote from: "Bodger"

Bodge, does that mean you end up with Light Cocks :shock:  or Game Sexes :shock:  :shock:  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

Gazumped
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 17:42 »
I'll have to think about that one :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 37 queries.