Rhubarb Crumble recipe please

• 16 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« on: April 17, 2008, 21:46 »
Can anyone supply me with a Rhubarb Crumble recipe please preferably the most basic one as a nice gentlman gave me four large sticks of Rhubarb today and I don't know what to do with them!   :roll:

Aren't people on allotments nice  :D
Teen

noshed

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 22:39 »
It depends how slack you are. I usually buy a packet of crumble mix and sprinkle it over the chopped rhubarb (about 1" long) which I've shoved in the oven for about 30mins with some brown sugar. I then bung it all back in for another 30 mins and eat with ice cream or custard (ready made).
If I've more time I make the crumble by rubbing butter into flour until its like breadcrumbs, add sugar and sprinkle over the partly stewed rhubarb as above.
What is nice is to add oats to the crumble (or a bit of muesli). And/or some ginger either powdered or chopped up lumps in syrup you get in a jar. Orange zest is nice too.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 22:49 »
That sounds too clever for me that last bit although the oats sound nice.  Is it ok using fresh rhubarb in crumble or have I got to do something with it first.  Not a cook by choice  :lol:

Does four fairly good size sticks sound enough?  Probably more than enough knowing me  :roll:

Thanks for the reply by the way  :wink:

noshed

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 23:06 »
4 sticks will be grand. Just wash them and chop them into 1" lengths. Put them in a casserole dish with a splash of water and some brown sugar. Put it in the oven for about 30mins at 180deg. Check it after 20mins and give it a stir. When it's softish, sprinkle over the crumble mix and put it back in for about 30mins.
It is also nice just stewed in a saucepan with a bit of water and sugar - doesn't take long, it just needs to go soft. Eat it with custard or ice cream or cold on yer muesli for breakfast.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 23:16 »
Thanks for those extra ideas.

I good to hear really what else you can do with Rhubarb, I only have ever had it in a crumble.

I saw on the River Cottage programme the other day that he had put some with fish.  People never really think to do that do they, although I think Rhubarb is in a resurgence at the moment with people experimenting with it and making it more appetising.   Blimey I think I need to lie down after all those big words!  :?

JimG

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 19:53 »
The basic crumble recipe I use is (adjust quantities to suit size of crumble!):

100g plain flour
50g sugar
50g butter

Cut the butter into small pieces and work into the flour.  The add the sugar - not all at once - and continue to work it into the mixture until you have a breadcrumb-like consistency.  You might get a few larger lumps but don't worry about those too much, unless you have nothing but lumps!

Spread that on top of your filling and bake in a moderate oven until it browns.  It depends on how well done you like it but anything between 15-30 minutes should see it about right.

Enjoy!

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 19:56 »
Thanks Jim, very helpful information.  What do you with fresh rhubarb?  Do I just cut it up and place it at the bottom of the dish and put the crumble mixture on top, or won't the rhubarb cook like this.

:roll:

JimG

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 20:08 »
I normally cut it into smallish pieces add a fair amount of sugar and boil it for a bit in water.  I sometimes use brown sugar, sometimes add a bit of cinammon.  Basically, I try not to have too much liquid - it just soaks into the crumble mixture and makes a mess!  Don't boil it dry, strain it to remove any excess if it looks ok otherwise.

Once it's done how you want it, cover it with your crumble mixture.  If you do make too much crumble mixture, you can put it in the fridge or freezer for future use.  If not enough, make some more.

Cheers,

Jim

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 20:20 »
Thanks very much.  I shall buy the ingredients tomorrow and hope my sticks of rhubarb are still ok.  I've had them in the fridge a few days.  Fingers crossed  :roll:

JimG

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 21:07 »
Thinking about it, you'll probably need to use some more ingredients if you intend using all four rhubarb sticks.  Ok, it also depends on how thick you like your crumble but try scaling it up to use 150g flour, 75g butter and 75g sugar.  The basic principle seems to be that however much you want to make the total weight of the sugar and butter should equal that of the flour in the mixture.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 21:16 »
Thanks I'll have to remember that.  I shall write it all down and have ago tomorrow.  I'll let you know how I get on!   :wink:

Vember

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 08:00 »
I always add some porridge oats to my crumble mix

no one's complained yet, and they're all ok  :lol:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 00:26 »
Hi everyone.  Made the crumble.  Not too bad, although could have done with more Rhubarb believe it or not.  Otherwise lovely!

Thanks for your help!  :D

JimG

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 18:32 »
Pleased to hear it was edible.  Better than my first go, I can tell you!  There wasn't much 'crumble' in there!

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 18:35 »
Practice makes perfect!  Thanks Jim  :wink:

xx
Rhubarb Crumble PLUS

Started by Eatyourgreens on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 08:23
by Yorkie
xx
Rhubarb crumble

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 19:40
by 8doubles
xx
Rhubarb and custard ice cream recipe

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 13:43
by chrissie B
xx
Recipe for Rhubarb Date & Ginger Chutney

Started by katiemax on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 17:09
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 36 queries.