the pallet shed begins . . . . . .

• 85 Replies

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2008, 00:32 »
hmmm well spotted lol  :oops:

didn't realize what i'd done till after i'd done it with the felt lol, however. . . .
i did have the overlap on the blank edge and i ran that many staples along the length it effectively seals it anyway, i hope  . . . .  it's baked in the sun and looks as though it will seal up, won't be a problem as i can run a torch along the edge if it looks like it'll pose a problem  . . . .

when i stapled it i was perched on the wall edge and had  my body weight across it to reach and staple and i'm still here lol, however, even though the roof doesn't actually weigh so much i feel i want to reinforce it just to be on the safe side, i doubt the steels will bend as they're overlapped by a few feet and rigid as anything, believe me i've near hung off them to test them, last thing i want is it coming down after all this lol. i have two 6 foot angle irons that i'm gonna build in anyway to be on the safe side.

stirling board ??? bit at the front ? see the pics below lol, all the outside is gonna be treated and i think i'll paint all the inside too, probably some cheap gloss white to preserve it and give it some light inside although i'm gonna wire in some sockets and a couple of fluorescents  . . . . . .

couple of pics i took this morning . . . . .

then did some more tonight, filled in the back as well now -

and from the inside

then i filled in the front triangle with some felt as i thought it'd look good :D

there is still a gap as you can see but i haven't trimmed it off yet and i need to still add a strip to overlap the two and finish it off nice . . . . .

looks a bit better every time ;) even made a head start on keeping it clean and brushed up all the nails and splinters from the pallets lol :shock:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 20:37 »
All you need now is a door and some windows  :D   It looks brilliant though, well done Dave!!!

Got a home for your quad bike now  :wink:
Teen

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 20:47 »
I'm pleased you've got it all sussed Dave!  I was worried about something happening, and that wouldn't be good after all your hard work!  Brian said it looks good, and admires you for having a go!!!!!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 22:36 »
Teen its a ride on lawn mower lol  :D

thats what i've been messing with tonight . . . .  grass collecting box that used to bolt on the back's been chewed by the dogs many moons ago  . . .  got a chute for the side that used to throw the grass up into it so i've been inventing a grass bag and experimenting with that earlier  . . . . .  kinda works and needs fine tuning, another project to keep me busy lol  . . .:shock:  

however  . . . . i still found some time for roofing reinforcements  . . . out came the angle grinder and my two 6 foot angle irons  . . .  only got one done as there was a fair bit of 'customizing' to do but it's made a real difference even though i only managed the one, the left side looked like it would sag over time, there was only two 'batons' down that side as the planks were longer as opposed to 3 on the other side and the steel's raised it about 15 mm i reckon and makes a massive difference now  :tongue2:

and in the name of recycling . . . .  yes they're a bit rusty but otherwise good n at the end of the day there's only me gonna see em and they do the job more than admirably  . . . . .  

so here it is  . . . . ..

also finished off the two pointy bits  . . . .  looks quite tidy now and just like a 'real' shed lol  . . . .

this is the back

and the front  . . . .

as i said earlier in this post, i already have a door off a concrete shed we have at work thats been on its side outside for probably 7 years! but it's still in good nick bar one rotten piece thats down one edge that'll be replaced  and thats the next stage i think after putting the next steel up on the roof tomorrow.

footnote for the mods: please be careful with the button marked X

lol  . . . . . . . . . . . .   :wink:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 22:40 »
Yeah Yeah, I get the hint!!!!!!   lol

Don't think that bit of angle iron will bend in a hurry Dave!  and the ends are looking so much neater now!  Can't wait to see it all finished!!!!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 22:48 »
lol  :D

can't resist  . . . . . .  i just can't lol

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 23:08 »
:tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 20:59 »
On closer inspection I now see that it is a mower  :oops: sorry Dave.  Well you can go mower racing now!!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2008, 23:12 »
managed a bit more tonight, got the second steel up for the roof to reinforce it and it does seem a lot better  :lol:

had a look at the door and took off the rotten edge that looked like it'd be easy to replace but on further inspection its too far gone and i've resigned myself to the fact i'll just have to make one instead  :?

ah well never mind  . . . .  just when i thought i was gettin to the easy bit lol . . . . . . . . . . .  couple of pics of the roof beams done . . . . . . . .

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2008, 23:36 »
picked up some 3 x 2 today to make a start on a door and had a muck about earlier, went for a rebate type joint as i thought it'd be simpler than mucking about with a mortise and tenon, cobbled it together and chucked a few screws in to keep it steady while i sized it up and it went in first time!
(with a push and gentle persuasion lol)

well chuffed with meself, it'll need some planing for a perfect fit but as the doorway itself isn't perfectly square (didn't keep track of the pulling n pushing i was doing lol) i'm calling it a custom fit lol  :tongue2:

gonna fit two more horizontals a third of the way up each,  then panel it all out in pallet planks, all going in the same direction as the other pallet wood so it all matches and hopefully it'll come out good and to be fair, should be a lot more substantial than the other door i had anyway . . . .  

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2008, 23:37 »
have edited the duplicate  . . .  . thats the trouble with posting late at night lol  :roll:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2008, 01:25 »
it started with a joint  . . . . . . .

no, not that sort. . . .  just not my scene man lol  . . . .  a rebate joint !
these are from monday to wednesday, was too tired to catch up with posting so they're all in one hit   . . . . .

basic frame

popped in place to size up

1/3 done  . . . . .

2/3 done  . . . . .

ta daaaaaaah lol

and even tee hinges !

opens n closes which is always a good sign  . . . . . .  

the bolts will be rounded off with an angle grinder just to make sure they cant be tampered with  . . . . . . . . .

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2008, 01:06 »
got a window in today  . . . .  was hoping to get both in, put some extra felt on the roof and tidy up the 50 foot x 2 froot wide strip of rubbish i'd  strimmed n rotivated last night but as a tyre on the ride on mower had punctured on the nails i've accumulated doing the shed i had to go out n get that sorted, came back and a back tyre had punctured on the back an all lol  :twisted: hmmmmmmmm

so . . . . . .  i only managed one window and the clearing up and tyre fixing . . . . . . .  and finishing off the gap from the overhang of the roof, which does really finish it off well but the window was such a pain in the ar** to do lol, never imagined it would be so difficult but then it is all kind of custom fit . . .  knackered now so i'll just stick the pics up lol  . . . . . . .

from the start . . . . . .  

put the window in then realized i hadn't built in the mesh behind it as a manchester thief deterrent so i had to take it off and add the mesh into the equation lol  . . . . . . .

then i finished off that side with some wood to fill the gap just where the roof overhangs so thats quite neat now and i'm considering one side of the shed well and truly finished bar the sanding and painting  :D

ladyloulee

• http://ladyloulees-wildlife-garden.blogspot.com/
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2008, 09:07 »
so is it all finished yet?  youve done a fantastic job :)
would you say it cost as much as a shed to buy though?
lou x

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2008, 18:55 »
hi there, no its not just yet - just got a hell of a lot going on and not had any time at all to do any more in the last week.

building will resume shortly though  . . . . . . .  pics as they come along  :D

xx
Pallet shed?

Started by stickmeup on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 19:04
by Baldy
xx
pallet shed fixings . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 11:39
by daveinmanc
xx
My project and its progress - Pallet shed

Started by stickmeup on Design and Construction

32 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 08:56
by stickmeup
xx
Pallet Shed Finished Help with nest boxes

Started by Fire2920 on Design and Construction

24 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 23:16
by Trillium

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.