found potatoes

• 9 Replies

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
found potatoes
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:41 »
I've been digging my newly acquired plot, and came across a few bunches of potatoes, left over from last year's crop I guess. They look perfectly fine to me - ranging in size from egg-sized to small fist size. Does it matter that they've probably been under there months and months? Some of my neighbours reckon, just take 'em out and cook them... others say they're no good. What's the deal?

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
found potatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:50 »
I had the same when I first got my plot, cooked them and they were no good as they were kinda getting ready to grow again. I then acquired the half plot next to mine and as I've been digging I've foind more potatoes and tried them again and they were YUMMY! I'm still finding potatoes as I dig, but they look like they're getting ready to grow again, haven't rried any yet but might (the bad ones were found around May last year). That side of the plot must have been used primarily for potatoes and strawberries as I keep coming across strawberry plants too, and I feel I'm being wasteful for digging them up and chucking them :cry: , but I got to get it in order for me plants!

I suppose the best way to find out if your potatoes are good is to cook them and see. Just plan to cook someting else just in case. My no good ones were just full of water and crunchy - not edible, so you'll know! Good luck!
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
found potatoes
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 10:58 »
lucky you alll i got was carpet thick plastic sheet's bricks house bricks a shed that was only being held up by brambles asbestos and heart ake o and weeds

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
found potatoes
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 11:16 »
I seem to have a vast collection of asbestos related waste, rotten wood and that's about it! All the wood and old shed has been burned but I'm stuck with the asbestos.

I had some rhubarb and a few strawberries on the plot but nothing of excitement

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
found potatoes
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 11:17 »
Quote from: "jimroden"
lucky you alll i got was carpet thick plastic sheet's bricks house bricks a shed that was only being held up by brambles asbestos and heart ake o and weeds

Jim

(((((Hugs 4Jim)))))

Asbestos? I hope the council cleared that for you...

mashauk

found potatoes
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 11:28 »
I've had my plot 2 years now, I still keep finding spuds, mostly little red ones, they're lovely!  I'm sure they hide though as it's been dug over at least twice :lol:

survyman

found potatoes
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:44 »
Get them cooked.
It does beg the question though about digging your spuds up and storing them in the first place  :lol: , they seem to be ok just left there.
If you have well draining soil I think you can get away with it but its a risk.

survyman

found potatoes
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 13:02 »
ASBESTOS
Ive just taken over as secretary of my allotments and met the council representitive on site.
I showed him our lock-ups with the asbestos roofs and said some members were complaining that they were faking internally.
He replied ' Ive been told by our H&S dept that we dont have to remove asbestos thats in place' !!!
How stupid is that, if that was the case there would be no asbestos removal firms making millions.
Anyway back to the story...
I said' Is that so, so it doesnt matter that its flaking then ?'
'No' he replied, 'anyway, its only asbestos cement sheet'
'So, you as landlord dont have to do anything with asbestos on the allotment even if it is only asbestos cement sheet, by the way what is the asbestos content in those sheets?'
'I dont know' he replied.
'Its approximately 1%' I said
'How do you know that?'
'Because im a Building Surveyor who deals with the removal of asbestos on my jobs on a weekly basis !'
As his jaw started to drop and he began to squirm I bamboozeled him with regulations and the duties of landlords.
He quickly hurried to his car his parting gift was that he will look into it.
He wont but my god it was good to watch him squirm  :twisted:

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
found potatoes
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 14:42 »
I have been well lucky with this plot, actually. Besides the bits and pieces already growing there (some spring onions and rhubarb, and the odd beetroot), the whole thing's in fairly good nick. Just half a plot, but plenty enough to keep me busy, esp with baby on the way in just a coupla weeks!!!

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
found potatoes
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 21:17 »
Just before my neighbour moved house, she gave me all her garden containers, one contained  primulas. I transplanted these and decided to delve deeper into this pot as it's really quite big, just an inch or 2 below the suface yup, new potatoes. They look good too! The sprouting bit is only just breaking the surface. I've a vague recollection that she found a cat's deposits on one of her containers of spuds, should this be it, she moved the deposits and your talking late last summer, it has rained a LOT, thoughts?

In a tub of my own I threw an overwintering lettuce away as it had tiny white bugs where the leaves meet the stalk. I've spud leaves breaking surface here too, thoughts again?

Thanks for any advice

xx
I've just found a bag of potatoes, am i too late?

Started by Sweetpea C on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 17, 2013, 21:39
by Nobbie
xx
Chitting potatoes - This is what I found

Started by nappy501 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 20:52
by DD.
xx
The best way you've found

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 20:56
by Stripey_cat
xx
found this

Started by mugins on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 08:36
by DD.

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 37 queries.