Garden screening

• 3 Replies

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Garden screening
« on: April 16, 2008, 20:09 »
The rear of my garden backs on to a dissused railway line, thankfully it's about 20 foot down an enbankment and well overgrown with brambles, nettles, wild flowers & mature trees, like oak. We get loads of wild life strolling through & a great variety of birds.
The fence is 2 metre high green chain link jobby, which the previous owner put in (used to be an accountant for the local council  :wink: ). So it looks like a tennis court  :roll:  
The local council are proposing to turn the railway into a rat run for an electric bus & cycle way, which should attract the wrong sort of wildlife, if you get my drift  :roll: .
The fence is in great condition, so I was thinking of ziptieing screening to make it a little bit more private & stop wandering eyes.

The question is.... what is the best type of screening. I was thinking of bamboo, willow or similar, the type you get on rolls. Which lasts longest & looks the best ?
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

charley1980

Garden screening
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 20:28 »
How about growing climbing plants all over it?

I've used the very thin bamboo looking stuff on a roll in an area in my garden and after about 2 and a half yrs it's looking well past its sell by date! I advise going for something quite sturdy which might fare a bit better!!

Trillium

Garden screening
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 21:31 »
You can't beat lots of thorny climbing roses to keep the 'wildlife out. If possible, try to add a small addition to the fence top, like 2 ft high bits of trellis, etc, so the roses can grow a bit higher. Go for vigorous native climbers and you'll have beauty, security, and likely rose hips for jams & teas.

peterjf

fencing
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 23:01 »
anything that is thorny prickly will do the job, even nasturtiums will climb the roses and brambles , they look good and hide areas

xx
Bamboo for screening

Started by Batesy on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2018, 14:53
by mrs bouquet
xx
Bamboo for patio screening

Started by Jeebus on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 31, 2019, 12:18
by Jeebus
xx
quick growing - evergreen - screening ??

Started by chopkins1313 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 18:41
by RichardA
xx
Plants for Screening off utility area

Started by nwalch on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 06:29
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.