Old Briggs and Stratton spares, 1960's 3hp engine.

• 9 Replies

leafmould

« on: April 16, 2008, 13:07 »
I have a 1966 Merrytiller, fitted with a 3hp B&S engine of the same age, I need some new part's for the carb, anybody know of a good place for these?

Also upon unscrewing the exhaust, I noticed a small amount of oil on the valve stem, are the valve guides easy to replace on these? I've never worked on one before.

Thanks in advance... leafmould

Gwiz

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 17:33 »
I don't think I have ever replaced the valve stems on one of these.
Not worth the hassle, is the general opinion. i wouldn't worry too much about a small bit of oil, chances are, if it smokes a lot, it's all coming past the piston rings anyway.
as for parts, just try your local garden machinery specailist, they won't have any problem getting spares if they are still available.
might be cheaper and less hassle in the long run to buy a new replacement engine off of EBAY. :)

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 19:24 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
I don't think I have ever replaced the valve stems on one of these.
Not worth the hassle, is the general opinion. i wouldn't worry too much about a small bit of oil, chances are, if it smokes a lot, it's all coming past the piston rings anyway.
as for parts, just try your local garden machinery specailist, they won't have any problem getting spares if they are still available.

I echo gwiz thoughts on the spares....but add...do take with you all the numbers that should be stamped into the engine tinwork when you visit your local agent...the numbers are the key to everything...assuming the cowling has not been swopped in some past history.
 You can use the Model/Type numbers yourself to download a parts list from
   http://www2.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/doclist.aspx?category=Engines&manual_type=Illustrated%20Parts%20Lists&menu=nav3&subMenu=3

"Dori."

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 22:18 »
replace it with a honda motor
always have a target
and an objective.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 22:20 »
any "Q" engine should fit

Huzey

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:06 »
I have used Briggsbits lately, and seem to be ok. Good on deliverytimes too.
clicky
All the best
Huzey
All the gear.......No idea!

fish

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:21 »
an old boy local to me has a myriad of spares,what exactly do you need? he sells whole ones for £10 - 50, so a few spares wont be a lot!

leafmould

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 13:30 »
Thanks all,

Fish, the bits I need are a jet for the carb, an some gaskets, all stuff that you have to buy new really, I'll give briggs bits a try.

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Briggs carburettor
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 09:16 »
Hello leafmould
You can get almost any part for the front tank Briggs & Stratton 3hp engine but spares are not cheap in Britain. A kit containing jet, needles and gaskets is available. Do not take any notice of the “fit a Honda” merchants as even fitting the large rear mounted tank 3hp B & S pulsa-jet engine requires re-drilling the engine mounting holes, plus a different belt and throttle cable assembly. I have hardly seen any Honda engined Merry Tiller “transplants” with the belt guide fitted and the clutch won’t disengage properly without it. Having said that, the flo-jet carb is a pig to work on as the threads between the jet needle and jet corrode so you can’t get the jet out and B & S recommend removing the jet before splitting the float chamber. If the problem is the carb leaking fuel when the engine is stopped, ignore it as they all do it, unless it dribbles when running. Just make sure you always turn the tap off.
R Tallentire

leafmould

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 15:44 »
Thanks for your informative post Mr Tellentire, most helpful.
I have managed to remove the jet from the carb without any probs, I gave the carb bowl a soak in a strong solution of denture cleaner, those little tablets are great for cleaning most types of scale from things, the jet came out easily after that,and the float bowl's now squeaky clean.

Fitting a Honda engine is not a consideration, and pointless as this one could be pretty reasonable again with a little work.

xx
Briggs & Stratton Spares

Started by houseman77 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 20:36
by Abbadon
xx
briggs & stratton 5 hp engine

Started by brytheold on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2014, 12:28
by grendel
xx
briggs and stratton 5 hp engine

Started by HINDAVE on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 15:48
by Blewit
xx
Briggs & Stratton engine.

Started by Plot46 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 11:27
by R Tallentire

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 37 queries.