How many sweetcorn plants?

• 18 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:58 »
I have 6 about 1 inch high on windowsill and another 6 germinating in the propergator - will this be enough as I have heard that they might not polinate.

Is there any way to help them along?

amandaandherveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 13:14 »
Cripes, only 2 have mine have popped through so far, the rest of them are all just sitting on the wndowsill waiting to do their thing, hopefully.
Are we nearly there yet?

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 13:43 »
we panted 12 last year in a square and all pollonated we have 50 this year lol

there all up about 5 inches i chitted mine first but tracey just poped them in the pot's and put them in the greenhouse.

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 14:12 »
Quote from: "jimroden"

there all up about 5 inches i chitted mine first but tracey just poped them in the pot's and put them in the greenhouse.

Jim

never knew you could chit sweetcorn seed, how does that work ?
Steve

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 14:18 »
Quote from: "siztenboots"
Quote from: "jimroden"

Jim

never knew you could chit sweetcorn seed, how does that work ?

I read a post on here about chitting pea's so i got a packet of sweetcorn out and just put them in a plastic tray with some kitchen towl on the bottom wet it and chucked them in the airing coupbord and up they come 3 - 4 day's later just keep the paper wet. take no notice of the date my two year old daughter has put it on the camera and i can not get the soding thing off :roll:  :roll:

GreenOwl

Re: How many sweetcorn plants?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 14:28 »
Quote from: "vineweevil1"
I have 6 about 1 inch high on windowsill and another 6 germinating in the propergator - will this be enough as I have heard that they might not polinate.

Is there any way to help them along?

Planting in a block not a row aids pollination.  12 plants should be enough for a crop.  I got a crop (not huge admittedly) from 9 plants.  If you can do more it would be better.

purplebean

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 16:28 »
I'm glad you asked this as I am growing sweetcorn for the first time this year and had no idea how many to grow.

JimG

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 16:46 »
I'm growing sweet corn for the first time too! Perhaps we can compare notes.  My allotment neighbour tried without a lot of success last year but that was probably due to the 'summer' we had.  His plot stands as a constant reminder of what I should be aiming to achieve and he's only had his a few months longer than me!

I'm trying 'Double Standard' from the 'Real Seed Company'.  What is everyone else planting?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 17:08 »
This is my third season of growing sweetcorn, can't remember which one I've got, but last years' was pants!!!!!!   I only got about 3 decent cobs from 21 plants, but the year before, I bought a packet from Costcutters that was reduced to 33p as it was late in the year, sowed them directly outside, and we had a wonderful crop!!!!!!

Just shows you.......

crowndale

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 17:10 »
I've just put 24 sweetie sweetcorn into those root trainer pots, both corn and root trainers being an experiment!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 18:38 »
depending on how much you eat and the size of your plot/patch I grew 100 ish last year and we still wanted more, there is nowt like it fresh, I am again growing around 100 this year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

JimG

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 18:45 »
Aidy, is that 100 of the same variety?  I've read that you shouldn't grow more than one variety because of the danger of cross-polination spoiling the crop.  

I would like to plant more than one myself and wonder whether the solution would be to start one off a fortnight earlier so they mature at different times.  But, if it is some problematic, what's to say that my neighbours' crops won't do the job anyway?

Any idea how much of a problem this is or is this concern a bit over the top?

Cheers,

Jim

gobs

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 19:08 »
I'm sure Aidy knows a bit about their pollination, Jim, and it is only a problem with supersweets really.

If I understand you right, no, no, no. Sweetcorn: 2-3 cobs per plant, one plant - no corn. Wind pollinate each other, plants need to mature and be in flower at the same time for good pollination. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 19:43 »
Yes Jim same varity, planted in big block so as gobs says they pollinate no problem, must say tho I normally only get 2 cobs per plant, must be the salt air  :roll:

JimG

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 20:05 »
Thanks, gobs & Aidy.  

What I meant, gobs, was not that I could leave a random neighbour's crop to pollinate my corn but whether my efforts to protect it from the dangers of cross-pollination might be rendered useless if my neighbours grow different varieties.

Looks like I should play safe and plant only one variety myself and not get too worried about whatever my neighbours do!  I don't think I'll go for 200.  Now I bet that looks impressive!

Cheers,

Jim

xx
What to do with these sweetcorn plants?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 19, 2012, 13:25
by JayG
xx
Sweetcorn companion plants

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 18:40
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Sweetcorn and neighbouring plants

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 20:18
by realfood
xx
large sweetcorn plants but hardly any cobs

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 23:44
by wil4025

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.