Compost question (stupid!)

• 4 Replies

charley1980

« on: April 15, 2008, 09:15 »
Hi I have one of those big green plastic compost bins that I  bought from my coucil a couple of years ago.

I've put a mix of lawn clippings, shredded paper and eggboxes,small twigs, raw fruit and veg matter and old plant debris/compost left in old plant pots, spent grow bags etc. I've tried to keep an even mix throughout to stop it drying out/getting too wet.
However, when I look at the bottom through the little hatch thing, there are some prunings I took from a hedge that I obviously didn't chop down enough :oops: which have not broken down properly.

Is it worth me taking the bin off, moving it and putting this bit back in near the top of the pile to give it more time to break down or shall I remove the compost from the hatch and just try to remove the twigs?

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:45 »
when the compost is cooked you can just chuck em back in the compost bin to rot down some more. They're easily plucked out by hand or with a riddle

They recommend you put twiggy stuff in the bottom when you start a new compost heap/bin  :D

gobs

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 13:39 »
I'd suggest to compost twigs, etc separately and only if not diseased, especially rose prunings I'd advise to give to the council with efficient composting systems.

They take much longer, even if chopped. If you chop small, could mix it with your leaf mulch.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Hazel Anne

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 14:59 »
I have a green compost bin which is now full and i want to get the compost out,but,,,,,,,,,,i think its stinking splodge!!!!!!!when i give it a poky stir its very wet and smelly. Obviosly too much peelings and not enough dry stuff.
Will it be ok to use still as i would have to have about 3 bins to mix it with dry stuff?
I realise now all the rushing outside with the peelings etc but the newspaper and egg cartons i sent out to the resycling crew should have gone in there.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 15:32 »
Tear the newspaper and egg cartons into strips and mix that through the compost. It will help transform the sludge into dark crumbly compost,

xx
(stupid) Compost question

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 13:09
by fallen angel
xx
a stupid question from me

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 15:50
by philskin
xx
another reasonably stupid question!

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 22:56
by Big Jen
xx
Stupid question - but very new to this :)

Started by mo-jo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 21:34
by Bailz

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 36 queries.