Provisioning while away

• 26 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Provisioning while away
« on: April 14, 2008, 20:59 »
in the near future, our 4 girls are going to have to be left for a week. I doubt it will be that long without someone checking on them (it should only be two or three days at most, but there are reasons why it cannot be sooner) but i intend provisioning them suitably just in case. I have a lot of spare weldmesh which will be placed and pegged down in a wide band around there house and run to prevent digging in, and numerous bait stations and traps will be laid. The house and run themselfs are secure as best as possible against pests and the access doors are bolted and padlocked against humans.

My intention is to provide water and feed to last the week. I can work out how much feed the need, along with some corn mixed in, and will buy or borrow a suitable feeder to hold it. What i need to work out is how much water to provide.

At present the have two 3l drinkers, one inside and one outside. The outside one needs filling every other day, the inside one maybe every three days. What i would like advice on is working out how much they will drink per day assuming warm sunny conditions. This absence is likely to be in may.  I will then get a drinker capable of providing in excess of the calculated amount, so how much per bird per day should i provide ?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Provisioning while away
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 21:03 »
sorry to be a right cow zak, but what are you thinking of??

what if one gets poorly or egg bound on day one and has to suffer for 3 days or more with no help?

what if the very worst happens and one dies on day one and isnt found for days.

sorry but i just cant approve, others may disagree with me.

if im away my sister checks them twice a day still, and neighbours are on hand.

they are animals and rely on us for their welfare.

so sorry - just how i feel

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Provisioning while away
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 21:08 »
as i said, there are reasons why i cannot be there, and why others cannot either. Its not always possible to have neigbours help. My father in law will attend when possible.

Jellyhead

Provisioning while away
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 21:08 »
I wouldnt leave my chooks for 3 days either :(
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

poultrygeist

Provisioning while away
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 21:15 »
Hi Zak

Obviously you've got your reasons why you can't be there.

Could you put an appeal up on here for someone within driving distance to check once a day or more ?

I have to agree with Babe that they need checking on every day.

Rob

Foxy

Provisioning while away
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 21:16 »
Have you got any animal sitters near you?  I use one if I am desperate and they are fantastic. I found ours through my local vets.
However, we are investigating using a slimline water butt to manufacture an automatic drinking system - I think there was an article in Poultry magazine about how to do it. Treddle feeders are good for saving time and they work by the hens standing on a platform to release the pellets whilst keeping them clean and dry. Ive got one can send a photo if you like.

Davenports

Provisioning while away
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 21:26 »
What about a neighbour who could do it for all they eggs your girls lay :idea:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Provisioning while away
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 21:28 »
Quote from: "Davenports"

im guessing ive missed it before, and sorry its off topic... but whats this hubby home in 22 days??

im just being nosey :roll:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Provisioning while away
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 21:28 »
im exploring as many possibilities as i can, obviously providing a weeks worth of everything they need is an extreme case. Ive even offered my mum a free weeks holiday, she just has to come up here for the week!
Ive a couple of colleages i can ask but the work 12h shifts like me which makes it awkward.

Id not thought of sitters, i will look into that. I could easily knock up a vacuum fed water header tank with a quick modification of a standard drinker

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Provisioning while away
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 21:30 »
Quote from: "babe"
Quote from: "Davenports"

that is a possibility, but only one neighbour i could approach, and im not sure how he would feel about it. I want to explore all the options, im sure he would agree but maybe out of politeness. Although i have to say other than my father in law (who was a smallholder inc chooks but is 30miles away) this chap would be my first choice

im guessing ive missed it before, and sorry its off topic... but whats this hubby home in 22 days??

im just being nosey :roll:

i'd also been wondering that, but i noticed your in grantham, so i have a possible incling

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Provisioning while away
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 21:31 »
or do you know anyone else with chooks who could take them in for the week?  If I was nearer Zak, we'd have them here for you!!!!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Provisioning while away
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 21:34 »
im having mumsy's girls here for a holiday while she's away.

and im sure we have other members in selby

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Provisioning while away
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 21:35 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
or do you know anyone else with chooks who could take them in for the week?  If I was nearer Zak, we'd have them here for you!!!!

ive been thinking that grannie, the wife has a friend who keeps them and there just down the road, but can they be put in together? will they not fight? and if their girls look similar to mine, how do i make sure i get mine back? can they be marked in some way? (like with livestock 'paint' as used to mark lambs etc)

poultrygeist

Provisioning while away
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 21:37 »
Would she be willing to pop in every day just to check ?

agapanthus

Provisioning while away
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 21:41 »
We all get problems at times.....but good on you for trying to find an answer to get your choox through a week. I hope it works out. :)

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 36 queries.