Plants just disappear?

• 7 Replies

barneyowl

Plants just disappear?
« on: April 14, 2008, 16:51 »
I have a north facing "flower"??? bed in front of la low stone wall.  Only some straggly rosed have survived this bed.  I have planted over the last couple of years, lots of lupins, and other perenials.  Last year I planted lots of tulip bulbs for flowering about now and guess what?  I have turned the soil over today for more planting!!! and there is abslutley nothing in the bed, except the  roses.  I feed and mulch this bed and every year I plant stuff in it only to find nothing ever comes up again.  Any ideas folks as I am just about to plant it up again and it is costing me a fortune.  If this bed was not just ouside my front door I think I would have given it up as a bad job ages ago!! :cry:
who cares wins

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Plants just disappear?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 18:36 »
Could squirrels be digging up the bulbs?

Have you tried protecting the soil with chicken wire etc??
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Plants just disappear?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 18:59 »
Is it a very damp bed as it's North facing ?  The plants could be rotting off.  Try plants that like moisture.

Trillium

Plants just disappear?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 04:02 »
Squirrels adore tulips and can easily sniff them out, and I'm sure most of my hyacinths have gone into hungry bellys. Daffs are about the only things they don't like, along with 'species' crocus and tulips (not hybridized). You might also have moles and pigeons feasting on sprouts. And Aunty's right about checking for possible dampness and land slope.

barneyowl

Plants just disappear?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:10 »
Thankyou for your suggestions.  I think it could be a combination  of all the things you have mentioned.  We DO have a mole problem on that lawn and I DID see a squirrel swinging through the trees yesterday and yes it IS rather damp.  Am I fighting a loosing battle?  Maybe, but I will take your advice and give it another go.  Thanks again all :)

gobs

Plants just disappear?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 13:22 »
You could try primulas, bog Irisis, Winter honesuckle, sarcococca.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

Plants just disappear?
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 15:59 »
Didn't think of that myself, but yes, you could switch to swampier types of plants. If you google it, you'll have a very long list of what you could use. Otherwise, you could partly terrace a slope or just build it a bit higher with more soil so water runoff goes another direction.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Plants just disappear?
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:39 »
Just an idea!!

I had a similar problem at home. Mine was a very dry bed in front of a wall. I kept on spending money trying to grow things and it failed everytime! In the end I covered the bed with weed suppressant matting~then with slate stones and put some containers on top of the slate~planted them up with the plants and bulbs that wouldn't grow in the bed  :D I had to spend money initially but its been worth it  :D ....

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
clip
Plants for ID

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 13:58
by Goosegirl
xx
plants for i d

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 23:52
by viettaclark
xx
plants for i d

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 19:45
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 36 queries.