chillie help needed

• 15 Replies

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
chillie help needed
« on: April 14, 2008, 15:11 »
i started off with loads of chilies but every few days they have been dieing off .they just shrivel and die.

they started inside the house then when it was a little warmer they went in the green house but we had a couple of frosts and lost quite a few so now moved back in the house.

they get watered and i feed them baby bio.

is there anything special i should be doing?
its my first year at chillies

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
chillie help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 15:17 »
I'm quite new to growing chillies as well but I would say keep the temperature warm and constant and don't worry about feeding them until they start to flower.  Once they get a bit bigger, transplant them into bigger pots and keep going until they are in their final positions. Once they flower, feed them with a tomato feed, increasing the frequency as the fruit begins to grow.  The key thing is keeping them warm but don't overdo it and cook them as I did last year!

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
chillie help needed
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 16:18 »
This is only my second year of growing chillies but yours are looking good so far. I started mine off under propagator and they are now on a sunny window sill. Maybe you are expecting all of the seeds to grow? You are always going to get some seedlings that arnt as strong as others. Ive tried saving every seedling in the past but this year if some arnt doing as well as others ive put them in the composter and consentrated on the stronger ones.

agapanthus

chillie help needed
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 18:15 »
You're right there greg....don't be in too much of a hurry to put them in a cool greenhouse....they will catch up and give you loads of fruit. Don't forget many chillies are perenials......so bring them back in after first frost and you will be able to harvest from the same plant next year!!

gobs

chillie help needed
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 18:18 »
LMM, they look great! Stop the bio though on them, I think, and just water with clean fresh water, when compost is dry.

They might be cold at night too, but if you have them indoors now it should not be a problem further on, of course.

Nothing else they need, warm, light and moderate moisture levels keeping up.

Also, your different height pots will shade each other with such young growth, you might want to arrange them so that the smaller pots are near the light source.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

lee79

chillie help needed
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 18:53 »
I keep mine on a window sill and when the sun sets, take them off the window sill, away from the cold.

Over the last few weeks, I had a few begin to shrivel.  I repotted them, not in a bigger pot, just for the new soil.  This seemed to do the trick for me, and I saved around 7 out of the 10.

It might just be coincidence and this is my first year growing chili, so I'm no expert, like I said though, it worked for me.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
chillie help needed
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 08:25 »
stop feeding them now. I have moved my chillis to the greenhouse and what a BIG BIG mistake it was.... they look terrible this morning and a fair few have died, even with the paraffin heater on.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
chillie help needed
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:29 »
To me they are starting to look a little bit drawn.

Get some aluminium foil behind them to reflect the light & give all round illumination.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

charley1980

chillie help needed
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:47 »
Don't feed anymore yet, feed with tomato feed once first flowers appear.

I grow my chillis in my south facing greenhouse and they stay there until the weather is really good outside.

You could put a sandwich bag over each pot secured on with a rubber band. Did that with my aubergine seedlings that were looking a bit weak and hey suddenly shot up!! Good luck!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
chillie help needed
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:50 »
Quote from: "charley1980"

You could put a sandwich bag over each pot secured on with a rubber band. Did that with my aubergine seedlings that were looking a bit weak and hey suddenly shot up!! Good luck!

I would not do that. In this case it's only going to make the seedlings more drawn.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
chillie help needed
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 09:14 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "charley1980"

I would not do that. In this case it's only going to make the seedlings more drawn.

you think they are drawn.. you should see mine :D flipping awful year for my toms/chillis

charley1980

chillie help needed
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 09:17 »
:oops: Oops! Sorry, I was just suggesting something I was told to do with seedlings, and it seemed to work ok for me. :?:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
chillie help needed
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 17:05 »
right I am sick as a chip.. home from work and my hab oranges have all died (thanks mr frost) I guess it is waaaay to late to get some more going??

gobs

chillie help needed
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 17:31 »
No, you go for it.

I told you to put the cat out. :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
chillie help needed
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 17:51 »
Quote from: "gobs"
No, you go for it.

I told you to put the cat out. :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oh don't.. tis worse now with 2 of them.... damn jack frost!!! :lol:

xx
Chillie growing info needed

Started by Celtic Eagle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 11:45
by Aidy
xx
Chillie's not hot ?

Started by biggsy75 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 20:19
by biggsy75
xx
my chillie plants

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 13:30
by chrissie B
xx
Chillie Plants

Started by purplejaguar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 14:06
by purplejaguar

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 36 queries.