Gardener's world (again) (yawn)

• 173 Replies

gardenplot

Re: Gardener's world (again) (yawn)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2008, 21:05 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
So he get's the plot, hires a massive rotavator ....('cos he can't be arsed to dig it)....has a chappie from the allotment society to help him....gets FREE bark AND compost.....ok the shed's a bit knackered.....but lovely NEW pallets for the floor and compost heap!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...................if only real life was like that!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I agree, it’s so false, if you want to run a proper allotment then you need to put in the hard graft, Thats life
 :D

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2008, 21:16 »
Well after watching it even my daughter was shouting at the tele - mam he's doing it wrong - when he said he was going to leave the weeds for another time  :lol:

How does he propose to control the weeds inside his pretty shapes, without treading on the soil ? because looking at it there's a hell of a lot of roots left and I know from my own bitter experiance that a microscopic bit of couch root turns into a lush clodge in no time

Again a tv programme tries to pick up on a popular pastime but shows the quick way - its graft clearing a plot no two ways about it.

this is what my plot looked like Sept 2006
LINK to photo

It certainly wasn't dug over in a weekend and I am still fighting it all

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 21:17 »
ooh sorry its so big can the mods resize it for me   :oops:  :oops:

mkhenry

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 21:25 »
The very worse thing is that he is being paid big bucks to do what he is surposed to be doing. And he is going to end up with some good results you bet.  That means that a load more "Trendies" are going to buy some designer gloves and trot down to the allotments to grow vegies on triangular raised beds. :twisted:  :roll:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

vegmandan

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 21:50 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
The very worse thing is that he is being paid big bucks to do what he is surposed to be doing. And he is going to end up with some good results you bet.  That means that a load more "Trendies" are going to buy some designer gloves and trot down to the allotments to grow vegies on triangular raised beds. :twisted:  :roll:

I agree the triangular raised bed thing is just ridiculous.

Mind you he'll probably install a bl@@dy water feature in the middle of it. :lol:

bimbler

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2008, 21:53 »
Geoff Hamilton was o.k. but I remember as a kid Mr Smith ? being on I think he did his time at the parks department and origanally grew veg to feed his family. he talked about Gardening as a task based hobby, to get this you do this, do the work to get the pleasure, not a quick fix by throwing money at it.
  Maybe Joe should get a man in to do his allotment Cleve West seemed to have an idea of what he was doing.
GOOD FOOD, GOOD WINE, GOOD COMPANY

Bombers

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 21:55 »
He's gonna need a blumin' big hoe to weed them beds. they are such a stupid shape :?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Foxy

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 23:05 »
Thought it odd that he so many allotments to choose from???? Was it just me that it looked like a "ground force" makeover afterwards -and I am sure that the  pallets he used for his shed were brand new!!! Perhaps I am just jealous though :? ....

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2008, 23:38 »
This is coming up to my 4th summer of veg growing and I am still nowhere near getting it right.

I can feel it in my water that by the magic of tv his plot will, by the end of a year, be productive enough to feed a third world country.  

Cynical, moi?  Never. :wink:  :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2008, 23:40 »
:lol:   :lol:  :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2008, 23:41 »
Quote from: "Welsh Girls Allotment"
:lol:   :lol:  :lol:
Bet I'm right though. :roll:

tenderness

ooh the frustration
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 00:09 »
For two months I've been searching for old scaffolding planks, anything that will help make some (non triangular) raised beds for me and my son.

No joy, so how frustrated was I when he waltzes into a yard and just grabs a load of stuff for free. Nothing to do with the BBC, my backside.

I don't have an allotment as I'm disabled, but I am trying still to get two four foot raised beds going in my back garden. In the real world, planks are hard to come by that's for sure  :roll:
Tenderness

JimG

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2008, 06:49 »
I watched the programme and, approaching only my second summer on the allotment, was hoping for some tips.  Apparently, if I persuade a couple of mates to pretend to be a film crew, I can get everything I need. At least that's what I took from the programme.

But, seriously, I do worry that potential allotmenteers will put their names down in some kind of expectation that what was portrayed there is the norm, despite the caveats about 'your council' that were given.  They might be disappointed - mine didn't even bother to answer my request that the site be strimmed, never mind dug over!  Having said that, after getting over what seems to be the traditional onset of disillusionment at the realisation of just what I'd let myself in for, I almost regard my original naivete as a blessing.  Who knows but may be, just may be, I might not have taken to it had I realised just how much hard work was involved.  But, and here's the cheesy bit, I do feel so much better for have turned a little bit of jungle into something that can grown more than brambles and thistles and couch grass and dandelions and....

Whether I'd get the same rush for planting stuff in odd-shaped boxes is another matter but, hey, it's his plot, it's up to him!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2008, 09:26 »
Quote from: "JimG"
I watched the programme and, approaching only my second summer on the allotment, was hoping for some tips.  Apparently, if I persuade a couple of mates to pretend to be a film crew, I can get everything I need. At least that's what I took from the programme.

It certainly helps to have a production assistant or researcher to contact every pallet using firm for miles around beforehand.

Now the guys on the site next to him are probably on a nice little earner selling him produce to plant on there for the take. Yeah, organic cabbages are £50 each :)

(And good luck to them if that was true!)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2008, 10:49 »
just got a load of free very well rotted horse manure yesterday, it is beautiful stuff so i went back for a second load before it is all gone.  But i had to fill the bags myself and empty them back at the plot, must take a camera crew with me next time  :lol:

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

xx
Last night on Gardener's world.

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 15:10
by richyrich7
xx
Joe Swift - Gardener's World - Goji Berries

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 13:29
by green fingers
xx
different world.

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2007, 20:51
by upthetump
xx
The world's gone mad!!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 13:11
by nipper31

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 36 queries.