Growing soya beans

• 17 Replies

soya-bean

Growing soya beans
« on: April 09, 2008, 16:06 »
Just got an allotment.  Amongst other grops we want to grow the new UK soya bean.  Has anyone tried these yet and can give us any advice?
Pause, be still and observe the world with all your senses - you will gain much!

nobby

• Experienced Member
Growing soya beans
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 19:11 »
havent a clue but welcom to the site  :)

gobs

Growing soya beans
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 19:39 »
No, but according to my book grow indoors and plant out only after danger of frost past, wishing you a nice summer, other than that it seems easy-peasy. :)

And if you have them, don't forget not to harvest in damp weather and cook before drying, they are inedible raw.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Stripey_cat

Growing soya beans
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 20:54 »
I have seed to try this summer - I think the variety is something like "Ustie" from T&M.  It says to plant next month after the frosts, but I may try some under cover in a few weeks.

woodburner

Growing soya beans
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 21:07 »
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

soya-bean

Growing soya beans
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:28 »
My thanks for the comments and welcomes from nobby, gobs, Stripey-cat and woodburner.  I am going to try to treat them as mangetout or peas - I don't think that they climb as high as runners.  Interesting article, woodburner; I think there must be two strains of soya.  The ones I am hoping to grow look more like small broadbeans when podded - the Japanese call them Edamame and they are very tasty.

Perhaps Stripey-cat and I can report back on our techniques and success?

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Growing soya beans
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 15:41 »
Go for it

If we get a decent summer should be Ok just watch the frost remember loads of plants used to be termed half hardy / tender and they now grow through no prob
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Stripey_cat

Growing soya beans
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 21:31 »
Quote from: "soya-bean"
I think there must be two strains of soya.  The ones I am hoping to grow look more like small broadbeans when podded - the Japanese call them Edamame and they are very tasty.

I'd assumed it was the same plant, just picked young (like shelling peas and drying peas).  Whether or not you'd be able to ripen some in our summer is anybody's guess - I was hoping for a few dishes of edamame.  The article seemed to be talking about problems with eating very large quantities of ripe beans (not fermented into traditional forms), or using infant formula based on soya milk.  It explicitly said there wasn't an associated risk for eating young beans as edamame, or with eating moderate quantities of traditional tofu preparations, only with the massive consumption  of relatively unprocessed, ripe soya with large amounts of oestrogens in it.

soya-bean

Growing soya beans
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 08:58 »
Quote from: "Stripey_cat"
Quote from: "soya-bean"
I think there must be two strains of soya.  The ones I am hoping to grow look more like small broadbeans when podded - the Japanese call them Edamame and they are very tasty.

I'd assumed it was the same plant, just picked young (like shelling peas and drying peas).  Whether or not you'd be able to ripen some in our summer is anybody's guess - I was hoping for a few dishes of edamame.  The article seemed to be talking about problems with eating very large quantities of ripe beans (not fermented into traditional forms), or using infant formula based on soya milk.  It explicitly said there wasn't an associated risk for eating young beans as edamame, or with eating moderate quantities of traditional tofu preparations, only with the massive consumption  of relatively unprocessed, ripe soya with large amounts of oestrogens in it.

Do you know... I opened the packet and they don't look like I expected.  The seeds must change and shrink as they dry.  So, just the one plant then. ;-)

weeeed

Growing soya beans
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 11:41 »
I've bought some to try this year as well. I think I will plant them next week in the house rather than waiting any longer to do it outside. No patience that's my problem! Plus if I pot them indors I've more chance of keeping the mouse off them :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

weeeed

Growing soya beans
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 11:43 »
I've bought some to try this year as well. I think I will plant them next week in the house rather than waiting any longer to do it outside. No patience that's my problem! Plus if I pot them indors I've more chance of keeping the mouse off them :wink:

hotterotter

Growing soya beans
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 11:56 »
I grew them last year tried 'ustie' and 'envy', both similar; the same infact. hairy plants about 45cm tall. 2 things to remember: don't let them dry out they need lotsa water and don't get too excited you're not going to feed the world growing soya in a temerate climate. The good thing was nothing touched them no slugs no snails no rust nothing.

woodburner

Growing soya beans
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 12:57 »
This is what the article says about edamame.
"The young green beans, now sold as a fashionable snack, edamame, are lower in oestrogens and antinutrients, though not free of them."

Note the use of the word "fashionable". That means people haven't been eating them for long. It takes time for trouble to show.
Also, who made it fashionable?

I'm growing my own veg because I don't like what the big boys put on the shelves for us.
Personally I go with traditional wisdom over big business any day. If I ever grow any kind of soya, it'll be as green manure, not food.
There are plenty more unusual food vegtetables out there to try, that have stood the test of time, without starting on the ones that have been considered inedible for centuries!  :|

woodburner

Growing soya beans
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 13:02 »
Quote from: "hotterotter"
The good thing was nothing touched them no slugs no snails no rust nothing.

There's a reason for that. ;)

soya-bean

Growing soya beans
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 20:41 »
Well, my seeds have been in the ground for about three weeks now... nothing!  Anyone managing to do better?  I am now trying to start some in seed cells instead.

xx
Soya Beans?

Started by mixdiver on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post December 05, 2006, 21:25
by muntjac
xx
What to gro with Soya beans?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 10:19
by Yorkie
xx
Soya Beans?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 18:35
by gobs
xx
Soya Beans

Started by birmancats on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 23:03
by woodburner

Page created in 0.561 seconds with 36 queries.