Question about using home made compost

• 5 Replies

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
« on: April 08, 2008, 23:59 »
Hi I have a comost heap in my garden, it is just a heap between two pallets so it takes a long time to rot down.  I dug some out from the bottom of the heap today to add to where I was going to plant potatoes.  There were lots of red worms and I transfered these worms to my potatoe bed too.  Was this a good idea?  

I have just started a new heap in a big black plastic container nearer the house so it is easier for us to put the kitchen waste in.  I am assuming that this will compost quicker but are there any tips for doing it right?  FOr either heap?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing what you have to say
Juliet
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

noshed

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 00:07 »
Basically if it smells lovely and like walking in the woods, it is ready. If it stinks a bit it isn't.
Your pallet bed is probably better because it is bigger and will get hotter if you build it in layers with straw, woody stuff or newspaper alternating with your kitchen stuff.
The black one may need turning to get it to rot properly. This is not difficult. Tip it up and chuck all the contents back in.
If you are worried about things not rotting quickly enough, add sulphate of ammonia, comfrey, nettles, and/or wee.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

vegmandan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 00:15 »
Basically if there are plenty of worms in it then you must be doing it right. :D

As far as your big plastic thing,I make my compost in 500 litre giant planters,the things you see with massive plants in Shopping centres etc.

As long as you mix it up and turn your compost regularly you should be fine.

:D  :D

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:42 »
having emptied my bins last weekend,  my lessons learned are

1) right mix of brown material (paper shreddings and drier stuuf) and green material (veggie peelings and wetter stuff)

we had one bin too wet and full of fruit flies - and one too dry and only half rotted down.

2)turn and mix - to mix the green and brown material,  to stop layers of paper shreddings and grass cuttings etc.

other than that ours are in a corner of the garden that gets the sun so they heat up and compost nicely - infact some of the stuff was steaming as we spread it on the garden.  first year after really trying hard with it that it actually looked like soil.  was pleased with it. and the chicken wire underneath kept the rat out too.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 08:57 »
I save all the rough stuff on the plot for the pallet compo bin which is tucked away in a corner of the plot. I put all the thuggish stuff in that, brassica stalks, Jerusalem artichokes stalks and sunflowers etc.  I do add lawn mowings to it though, and in the daleks which get a right steam up  :D  I find that kitchen scraps rot down quickest so I have two bins at home for those.  I find compost turning and stirring a pleasant, mindless task and one I'm happy to do on a warm day. Sad but true  :D

Oscar Too

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 09:52 »
Get the men in the house to add wee - it's the best compost starter, and an easy "delivery system."

xx
Home made compost, question.

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 10:51
by JayG
xx
home made compost

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 14:55
by Beetroot Queen
xx
home made compost

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 15:09
by Trillium
xx
Home made compost

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 14:16
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 36 queries.