I'm so sad...

• 26 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
I'm so sad...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 00:10 »
Quote from: "Captain_Dingbat"
Well, we just got back from the field....and I think Splodge is gonna be ok! My husband (ex-farmer) is adamant its a dog attack....hes seen it like it before. The rest of the chickens are un-touched........

Whats the law on that, if a dog was attacking your chickens, are you within your rights to shoot it?

I looked into this when mine were attacked and the dog warden came back to me and said - if it is a single dog attack then you can shoot it but if it is a pack of dogs you cant.  Wheres the logic??????  Surely a pack is more of a threat than 1.

I live in Northern Ireland, although its UK some laws are different.  Check with your dog warden at the council and he will find out for you.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Vember

I'm so sad...
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 08:44 »
So sorry to hear your news  :cry:

Poor Popcorn :cry:  :cry:

How's Splodge this morning????

Jellyhead

I'm so sad...
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 08:50 »
So so sorry about your chooks :cry:  :cry: BIG HUG from over here :cry:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Captain_Dingbat

I'm so sad...
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 09:27 »
Splodge is home, hes in the big box I use for the brooder, luckily i've no chicks in there at the moment. The heat lamp is one and he's now nestled on shavings and straw. I made him some mash up and theres water in there too. He's got whiplash i think, the way he holds his head up and then lays it down. I'm hopeful, as he survived the night! Now he's cozy, he can concentrate on resting and getting well again.

No sign of Marshmellow or Grenade. I guess they DID become a fox's dinner. Well, it's days are numbered, we are going this evening to sit in the Disco and wait...........gun at the ready.

Luckily, i'm actually fetching more chickens tomorrow and at the weekend, so Splodge will have some new girls to look after once he's feeling better.

:cry:

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
I'm so sad...
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 10:27 »
{{hugs}}
Hope splodge gets better.
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
I'm so sad...
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 10:28 »
I am so sorry,  :cry:  :cry: It seems that we have to be vigilant not only against foxs but also people and their pets. The pain will ease.
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

Foxy

I'm so sad...
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 10:48 »
So sorry to hear about your chooks! How terrible lots of hugs and best wishes for Splodge!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
I'm so sad...
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 15:06 »
So sorry about your hens, do hope Splodge pulls through. Nature can be so cruel sometimes.

Big hugs from over here,
 :(  :(
Judi

conventgirl

I'm so sad...
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 15:31 »
Thats a terrible story..i really hope Splodge pulls through.

Big hugs to you all x

Captain_Dingbat

I'm so sad...
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 17:17 »
~UPDATE~

Splodge is doing well, eating and drinking on his own now, as I had to handfeed him just after the attack. I'm hopeful by the end of the week, he can go out in the run we have in the back garden so he can see the bantams out there, and with any luck, back to the field at the end of next week. I've kept all the chickens in the runs now, they have lots of room in there, I just feel mean about restricting their wanderings! Still, its better than more dead chickens! I also have a friend whose sitting down there on alternate evenings as dusk falls, with his gun.......waiting..

Muahahahahahaha!

Chappers

• Experienced Member
I'm so sad...
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 18:56 »
Quote from: "Captain_Dingbat"
~UPDATE~

Splodge is doing well, eating and drinking on his own now, as I had to handfeed him just after the attack. I'm hopeful by the end of the week, he can go out in the run we have in the back garden so he can see the bantams out there, and with any luck, back to the field at the end of next week. I've kept all the chickens in the runs now, they have lots of room in there, I just feel mean about restricting their wanderings! Still, its better than more dead chickens! I also have a friend whose sitting down there on alternate evenings as dusk falls, with his gun.......waiting..

Muahahahahahaha!

So sorry to hear about your loss, 3 of mine went day before yesterday, think it was a stoat. Hope you get whatever got them.
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
I'm so sad...
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 19:28 »
:( So sorry Dingbat, I know how you feel when you lose your birds...they really gets to you  :(  So hope the others turn up and the injured one survives. No matter how hard we try, we can't be there all the time.

Big hugs from over here  :cry:

Judi

Page created in 0.57 seconds with 37 queries.