Glyphosate

• 17 Replies

GreenDavie

Glyphosate
« on: April 08, 2008, 14:33 »
What do people think about its use?.....and how does it affect the growth on the allotmant for the next few seasons to come. Regards. :D
Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

woodburner

Glyphosate
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 15:28 »
I don't use it except once in desperation to kill ground elder that kept coming through from next door garden.
I use cardboard now, used to use black plastic and carpet but I ran out. (Had to leave them at last lotty. With glyphosate you still have dead stuff to deal with, so I prefer mulching, even if it does take a while. Added bonus, no chemicals to worry about.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Glyphosate
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 15:30 »
Found it very useful in clearing overgrown plot.

Says on the bottle that it's rendered inactive on contact with the ground. I have nothing to disprove this and found subsequent crops not afftected at all.

With my first plot I planted leeks amongst the dying couch grass & they did really well.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Glyphosate
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 15:33 »
I use it when I need to for keeping my path edges clear.

Trillium

Glyphosate
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 15:37 »
Same here, Aunt Sally, and for the occasional bout of bindweed that just won't die and the odd bit of dock in the wrong place.

compostqueen

Glyphosate
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 15:43 »
yeah so do I but once the grass paths are gone I won't need any at all.  I don't like it near me veg and have used sheet mulch rather than glyphos over the entire plot.  I'd rather take me time than resort to weedkilling the whole plo.  It does take time though but I'm nearly there. Can't wait to get rid of the last 2m long strip. This year hopefully

Trillium

Glyphosate
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 15:46 »
I dug out all my plots too, compostqueen, and must have missed a few specks because I've got bindweed back again. Can't redig when crops are in flower/fruiting so a quick small shot of glyphosphate controls the would-be strangling.

GreenDavie

Glyphosate
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 15:46 »
Thanks guys thats really helpful, anymore comments welcome. regards

drizabone

Glyphosate
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 16:20 »
New lottie was overgrown with brambles and where their was'nt, it was couch growing through the various forms of covering previous occupier had used, dug about third (had to do it 3 times to get rid of the couch) and glycoed the rest. hopefully when I get round to clearing the remainder the couch roots will also be dead, making it that much easier.

philskin

Re: Glyphosate
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 19:54 »
Quote from: "GreenDavie"
What do people think about its use?.....and how does it affect the growth on the allotmant for the next few seasons to come. Regards. :D
                                                                                                                        hello there thought i would add my 2 penith worth ,I used to sell herbicedes and pesticedes etc in my previous life and just wanted to say if your desperate and need to use this then glyphosate 260 is pretty good but only if you use a good squirt of fairy liquid in with it i kid you not.The difference between roundup and glyphosate 260 is the wetting agent this makes it stick to the plant thus making it more effective after a few months the ground will be safe for future crops . I wont use it myself but would never knock anyone who does hope that helps   phil
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
Glyphosate
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 20:07 »
add washing up liquid to what? the roundup?  :shock:

dugless

post subject
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 20:15 »
This topic came up the other day and was well discussed If you realy want to be fully informed
Type glyphosate in Google and you can read all about it, then you can make up your own mind
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

waddecar

• Experienced Member
Glyphosate
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 21:16 »
I use it on grassland to kill docks and I'm happy to use on the likes of ground elder in ornamental areas but I dont use it on the veg plot. Although it is claimed to be rendered inert on contact with soil there are reports indicating that residues remain in soil.

compostqueen

Glyphosate
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 23:00 »
yeah, adding a bit of fairy liquid helps it stick to the plant. This is is you're applying it on a gloved hand. I don't know if you could spray it if you'd added Fairy  :?

philskin

Glyphosate
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 08:59 »
Quote from: "Swee'pea"
add washing up liquid to what? the roundup?  :shock:
                                                                                                                 If you're using the proper Roundup, there's no need to add washing-up liquid as it already has a wetting agent in it, but if you're using glyphosate, it's the same stuff only a lot cheaper, but doesn't have a wetting agent (this makes the chemical stick to the leaves, etc.) That's why you need to add washing-up liquid because it does the same as a more expensive wetting agent.  Hope this is useful.

xx
Glyphosate help

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 10:27
by John
xx
Glyphosate

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 27, 2017, 11:21
by New shoot
xx
glyphosate?

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 22:28
by richrua
xx
after using glyphosate?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 20:11
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.682 seconds with 36 queries.