Concern for a regular visitor

• 6 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« on: April 08, 2008, 14:18 »
I have a regular visitor to my garden, and he seems to have taken an interest in being around the girls. He is a, quite stunning, pheasant!

I have three concerns -

1. although he cant get to the girls, they can get close by the wire. Should i be worried by his presence, not just from the point of view of disease or parasites, but could this handsome chap have any other effects on my girls?

2. im guessing hes about because its safer than the open fields, and he's probably finding any spilt feed, although im very carefull to keep spillages minimal from the vermin point of view. Could his visiting affect his wellbeing? Admittedly, whilever hes in our garden he wont get shot (although i have considered it, he'd make a good nosh) and he looks great!

3. i'll be sowing soon, and i know they eat seeds and shoots, how much of a risk is he to my plots? what sort of deterents can i use?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 14:24 »
We used to have a regular pheasant visitor and there didn't seem to be any problems, in fact we encouraged him and he used to come and peer through our glass door! We keep peacocks, members of the same family as pheasants, and there's only a problem with the cock but your bird won't be as territorial as our peacocks were bred here with the hens. I'm no expert and others may disagree but I'd just enjoy your lovely visitor!

Judi

Ruby Red

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 14:32 »
You asked if it would have any effect on your girls. Goodness if hes that handsome they may be overcome with a touch of the vapours and start fainting in his presence. Be on the lookout for any over preening.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 14:38 »
:D he is a good looking fella, very shiny, deep vivid colours, looks great when the suns on him

i'll not worry too much about him being about, so long as he doesnt start eating my plants

if i can get close enough to him i'll take a photo and put it on my blog.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 15:28 »
I have a pheasant in my garden all the time, not sure if it's the same one, but his boldness suggests it is. He makes a right din when the bird feeder is empty and has begun to come to the back door, as have the doves  :roll:   Like you say they are gorgeous!  Our one looks to be in fabulous condition, not surprised as he hogs most of the bird seed  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 16:39 »
We've had a resident pheasant (say that with your mouth full) for several weeks/months.
Again, he is really glorious to look at and regularly makes a racket like an old lawnmower failing to start.

He seems to be pining for a mate but is in no rush to leave so must be enjoying the peace. We do feed him with a bit of bird seed and the odd handful of corn as we do the ducks, doves and anything else within range (and probably mice and rats).

Our hens are behind bars and a hedge so he can't get to them but maybe he senses their calmness and stays close.

He's call Phil.

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 16:49 »
We also have a pheasant, he used to be around every day, very noisy, very greedy and very fat..... now we do not see him for a few days at a time...I wondered if he was out and about looking for a girlie pheasant.....the chickens look at him with utter disgust and are not at all impressed by his flashy plummage!!!!

xx
Regular layers or iratic?

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 20:09
by Porffor
question
Should I buy bantams or regular hens?

Started by lou-b-lou on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 22:20
by Alec
xx
Anyone mixed ex batts with regular hens?

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 21:25
by agapanthus
xx
What regular treatment should I give my chooks?

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 06:58
by joyfull

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 36 queries.