Getting my girls to Perch

• 5 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
« on: April 06, 2008, 21:36 »
Hi
I have two hens that I've had from chicks with their mum.  As Mother Hen has gone to pastures new I've made another concerted effort to get my girls to perch.  
I have been trying for over a week to place them on the perch - they stay there but they don't seem to find their own way.
The other day I found them nestled under the perches, it almost like the can't quite get onto them.
I'm wondering whether its too dark in the house for them to see where to jump.  Would it help it I left the door open? Does anyone have to do this for their hens to find their way to bed?
Thank
Ness

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 21:39 »
i wouldnt worry, if they are happy, let them be. mine dont all perch.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 21:47 »
How far off the ground is the perch Ness ? mine troop up and down a ladder I made them, if the perch is too high it can lead to sore feet from jumping down etc.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 08:41 »
I may have to lower it - I've just checked and its about 9" and they are only bantams.  What height should it be?

I'm going to persevere with the perching thing as they are so much easier to clean out

I love the thought of trooping up a ladder to the perch!  :lol:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:22 »
I gave up trying to get last years silkies to perch...mum never did and they just sleep on the floor as, apart from super-glue, there's no way they'll stay on the perch no matter how often I put them on! Spent ages trying...would get 6 up and then the first would jump down before the last was up! :roll:

They happily sleep on the henhouse floor...just a bit dodgy when they're under the old silkie and 3 partridges that do roost! Maybe Babe has a pattern for waterproof jackets??! :lol:

Judi :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 21:41 »
Quote from: "ness"
I may have to lower it - I've just checked and its about 9" and they are only bantams.  What height should it be?

I'm going to persevere with the perching thing as they are so much easier to clean out

I love the thought of trooping up a ladder to the perch!  :lol:

9 inch ? thats low, mine are at about 3 foot !! but mine are large fowl and like I say they have a ladder I have a droppings board underneath and it really cuts down on cleaning  8)

They do look funny when they go up and down, or use it as a place to stand and peck each other on the head as they walk by  :roll:

xx
age of hen to perch

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 18:01
by joyfull
xx
perch

Started by samuria on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 21:01
by nerdle
xx
To Perch or Not To Perch?

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 14:02
by chuckmad
xx
new perch

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 08:21
by ehs284

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 36 queries.