What are others doing?

• 6 Replies

squiffy2

What are others doing?
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:22 »
Hi all *waves*

Still alive, just  :D

Wondered how others are coping with the totally waterlogged allotments?

I have potatoes on which the "chits" are now 4" high, onions and shollots sprouting in their trays and no hope in sight of getting them in as the ground is still totally water looged  :cry:

The Garlic is doing wonderfully, but have not been able to dig the other 2/3rds of the allotment since November! I can see me having to plant the veg tomorrow whatever the weather otherwise it will all be ruined, but am just worried the taters will rot!

squiffs  :D
Visit Squiffy's House of Fun - Laughter for Multiple Sclerosis - http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/ For MS Information http://www.msrc.co.uk

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
What are others doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 09:35 »
Not too bad here mate, drying nicely, many have their spuds in now, I am waiting a week or two yet but have other stuff in now.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

compostqueen

What are others doing?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:52 »
I hope to bung spuds in today in whatever bit of plot is free. Nothing prepared but hey they won't mind  :D

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: What are others doing?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:07 »
Quote from: "squiffy2"
Hi all *waves*

Still alive, just  :D

Wondered how others are coping with the totally waterlogged allotments?

I have potatoes on which the "chits" are now 4" high, onions and shollots sprouting in their trays and no hope in sight of getting them in as the ground is still totally water looged  :cry:

The Garlic is doing wonderfully, but have not been able to dig the other 2/3rds of the allotment since November! I can see me having to plant the veg tomorrow whatever the weather otherwise it will all be ruined, but am just worried the taters will rot!

squiffs  :D

I've had shallots in the garden about 3 weeks and the shoots are now poking through on most all of them.  Yesterday evening I planted out a dozen broad beans which were in 4" pots and were starting to get pot bound, apart from shielding out most of the light on the spare bedroom window.  The space gained on the window sill has been replaced by smaller seedlings that now need some direct light.  I filled in a smallish area at the end of the shallot row with some red onion sets.  I also planted up a big tub on the patio with a good number of spring onion seeds.  Hmm - we're now told to expect near freezing conditions this weekend.  :( .  I hope all that's now outside copes with it.  Broad beans and shallots are quite hardy though, but I would feel a bit better if I'd put the beans out a few days earlier to let them acclimatise more before the freezing conditions.  Fleece maybe, except that I haven't got any.  Maybe I should get some today.

As regards the allotment, there's nothing in the ground yet as I'm waterlogged, or as near as makes no difference, like a lot of others seem to be.  A big dig is planned for saturday and sunday, as long as we don't have more rain.  Cold I can cope with and digging soon warms you up but no more rainfall please.

archibtbm

What are others doing?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:19 »
Hi Squiffy2

dry up here. Put some spuds in last weeeknd along with some peas, broad beans and Borrlotti beans.  Chillies are doign nicely in the heated prop.  finished off some paths, just in case the we get soaked again this summer

squiffy2

What are others doing?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 12:26 »
Well, the planned "Big Plant" has been put on hold due to 4"+ of snownow on the allotment  :cry:

Looks like it is going to be one of those years :shock:

squiffs :D

compostqueen

What are others doing?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 13:34 »
oh well, we should be used to it by now  :D

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 37 queries.