Onions poking through!

• 8 Replies

crowndale

Onions poking through!
« on: April 03, 2008, 21:20 »
Yea, my onions (sturon) are poking through the soil.  funny how little things please!  I planted them very deep and was worried I'd over done it but they have survived, just hope the bunnies don't eat them now!

had a really good day down on the plot.  bubs was obliging and slept the best part of 5 hours (waking every now and then for sustenance!), prepped the asparagus bed, needs to dry out a bit before the crowns go in though, finished enough of the spud patch to get the rest of the earlies in, still got a bit to do for the maincrop though.

Only downside was that I sent no. 2 son off to his drama club as usual at 6pm only to find him returned at 7pm instead of 8pm.  looked on the timetable to notice that today was a 4 hour run through from 3pm!!  Ooh I feel guilty coz he really needs the practice given his learning disability!  And I was a bit cross about it too coz no one rang me to tell me and loads of kids there know him well and could have contacted my home to let me know.  never mind, he wasn't bothered, just hope his teacher wasn't too cross (with me, she'd not be cross with him).  I usually just drop him and run.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Onions poking through!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 21:55 »
Hi Crowndale, Bunnies won't eat onions, they don't like the taste.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

crowndale

Onions poking through!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 22:03 »
good, one less thing to cover!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Onions poking through!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:40 »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but rabbits do eat onions, we have to protect them till they are about 1 foot tall ,or rabbits chew them and every new shoot that sprouts gets eaten, they do the same to leeks too, but dont seem to have gone for garlic.We have to cover or protect most veg except lettuce the rabbits dont bother with that.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Onions poking through!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 09:53 »
yep they sure do eat them.. happened to me last year.. no real damange but they did have a nibble

crowndale

Onions poking through!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 16:58 »
ah well, they'll have to take their chances for a bit, haven't been up with more net yet!

fluffybunny

Onions poking through!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 21:58 »
If they eat too much it'll kill 'em though, bulbs are poisonous to our lagamorph friends!

weeeed

Onions poking through!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 16:59 »
I would be more worried about more sinister things getting them on your plot! Will have to come and see the wonders you've done! Still not seen baby yet either :lol:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

crowndale

Onions poking through!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 18:32 »
Ah, bubs is growing like a weed, weeed!  Well, a slow growing and small weed, one with pretty little flowers probably!  I have a weed in the grass, low growing, lots of fluffy green foliage and very pretty tiny blue flowers, that would be bubs in the weed world!!

Also noticed, in addition to the onions poking through, that the broad beans planted on 24.0208 have also started to poke through.  As I'd given up on them and planted pot sown plants I may have to do some selective reduction as the plants are in the same row as the ground sown seeds!

cheesy
Now she's just poking fun at me !

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 06:45
by Madame Cholet
xx
Chillies poking through

Started by DoubleH75 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 13:38
by DoubleH75
xx
Yea! My peas are poking through!

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 18:17
by crowndale
xx
should my early rhubarb be poking through already?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 10, 2015, 20:39
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 35 queries.