spuds in the greenhouse

• 9 Replies

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
spuds in the greenhouse
« on: April 01, 2008, 17:28 »
Anyone else growing spuds in a bag in the greenhouse.
Mine have been coming through for a few weeks now, started off with a few inches  of compost in the bag, and kept topping it up as they showed through.  Bags now full and they have just poked through again.
any ideas about when to see if there's any potatos  or are they all tops.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 19:58 »
I assume you're growing a first early - you should be able to get potatoes after about 10 weeks. What you need to watch out for is warm weather. When it gets warm, get them out of the greenhouse or you will have wonderful tops but no tubers.

If you take them out now and just pop a fleece over them if there's a frost you should be fine.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Nikkithefoot

spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 20:55 »
I've got four bags of earlies on the go in my greenhouse at the moment. They have been started at two week intervals. The first bag was fully filled last week and the tops are growing on nicely.

Last year I did the same, and waited until they had flowered before emptying them out. Got enough from one bag to feed 5 for about two meals (started with three seed spuds in a bag).

Like John says they need moving out soonish, but will need protecting from frost. If a heavy frost is predicted I'd move them back into the greenhouse AND fleece them, especially after all the nurturing they have been given :)

Above all once the tops are growing well, remember to water every day even if you think they don't need it. No water =no tubers

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 23:36 »
Good point on the watering, Nikki

matron

spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:46 »
I put some earlies in buckets 2 weeks ago but you lot seem a lot further ahead. When is the realistic earliest time you could plant in the greenhouse?

diggerjoe

spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 09:15 »
only did mine last night planted up in old royal mail bags - double thickness to exclude the light totally they are now on the patio in a sheltered spot I used Ratte - other earlies are in the allotment  - it will be interesting to see how well they do :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:34 »
Quote from: "matron"
I put some earlies in buckets 2 weeks ago but you lot seem a lot further ahead. When is the realistic earliest time you could plant in the greenhouse?

It depends on temperature. If you can keep the greenhouse frost free then January isn't out of the question. I seem to recall it getting a bit chilly on the moorlands :)

philskin

spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:40 »
Quote from: "john"
I assume you're growing a first early - you should be able to get potatoes after about 10 weeks. What you need to watch out for is warm weather. When it gets warm, get them out of the greenhouse or you will have wonderful tops but no tubers.

If you take them out now and just pop a fleece over them if there's a frost you should be fine.
   hello john hope you got the cheque for your book im looking forward to reading it my question for you is my early spuds went into boxes and now there sticking through for the second time ,i will cover them again but if i put them outside now is it ok to fasten clear polythene over the boxes or will this make them grow tops only .im only asking because i havent got any fleece but have a full roll of clear membrane thanks for looking   philskin
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:17 »
Hi Phil

Val uses bubble wrap around the base of some pots as protection and I would think that clear membrane would work as long as you take it off in the day. Fleece is very cheap and forgiving if you can't get it on and off easily.

I just checked and your copy is on the way - thanks. I send out the same day the cheque arrives. I don't wait for them to clear or anything. Got to have some trust in life.

philskin

spuds in the greenhouse
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:18 »
Quote from: "john"
Hi Phil

Val uses bubble wrap around the base of some pots as protection and I would think that clear membrane would work as long as you take it off in the day. Fleece is very cheap and forgiving if you can't get it on and off easily.

I just checked and your copy is on the way - thanks. I send out the same day the cheque arrives. I don't wait for them to clear or anything. Got to have some trust in life.
   thanks john im really looking forward to reading the book

xx
spuds in greenhouse and first proper frost!

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 03, 2011, 20:18
by LilacSandy
moved
MOVED: Winter greenhouse spuds.

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 10:29
by JayG
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 36 queries.